(pics) Alumacraft Model FD anyone know what year it was made?

ropntoz

Cadet
Hello, I have just bought my third Alumacraft boat but the first in twenty five years... This one is different than my others and I will post pics if I can figure this out! am looking for folks who have Knowledge and interest in restoring/boating vintage Alumacraft boats.

I hope to hear from you soon with clues as to the configuration of this boat.

Thanks, Ropntoz

Last edited:

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: (pics) Alumacraft Model FD anyone know what year it was made?

You can get the boat year and other information from Alumacraft. The boat ID# is stamped on the top of the center transom brace. You can call Alumacraft 507-931-1050 or email from their web site.

I know a little about these boats and it's interesting that the remote steering is positioned so forward. From your pics in the Boat Topics and Questions forum it's hard to see, but along with the floor bracing ribs, Aqueduct transom drain openings and transom labeling I'd make a guess on the year, 1961 and the oars look original. Let us know, if you would, what you find out and how far I'm off on my guess.

alf1960

Cadet

Well my FD is a 59 and the inside floor bracing runs the long way. I see yours runs crossways, so its newer than mine. Maybe River Runner can tell why they changed this? They must have changed this in 1960 or 1961 according to River Runners estimate on the age of your boat.

ropntoz

Cadet

Well I spoke to Alumacraft and they said the boat was made in 1955 and had no idea about my oars.
Has anyone else ever seen these type of oars?
Also, I'm in Montana and need a source for rivets. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

ropntoz

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for getting year quick. My first guess was 1958 but then I looked at the bracing ribs again. I don't why they changed the direction, maybe it's structurally more rigid. Also in the year 1960, bracing was lengthwise but sometime in the 60's bracing was built across, for good. The trailer is definitely 50's period, making it all very desirable and scalloped oars are seen with the old boats.
These are truly great boats, for certain you'll enjoy yours!

Vintage Aluminum

Seaman Apprentice

Having trouble seeing the photos...must be on my end. But, what I did see shows the short FD bow cover retrofitted with a steering wheel. The FDR of the later 1950s had the steering wheel up front, but its deck was longer. Those are standard AlumaCraft oars...nice bonus--and can be hard to find. What I saw looked like a pretty serviceable/restorable TeeNee trailer. A great classic setup--you hit the jackpot there. Some of us look long and hard for boat, bow cover, oars and trailer. You got it in one purchase.

FD's came out in 1955, so yours is an early one. Well done. Enjoy.