Does this look like an Alumacraft FD?

alumanaut

Seaman Apprentice
Seller calls it an Alumacraft FD with a deck at the bow. Its definitely deep. But I've never seen the splash rail be so going back along the side of the hull high the back two-thirds of the hull. FD experts weigh in if you would. Boat has splash trey across transom.

Attachments

• alumacraft.jpg
    alumacraft.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0

alumanaut

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Does this look like an Alumacraft FD?

I meant to see I've not seen the splash rail along the side of the hull be so high all the way to the back of the boat.
:redface:

super cs

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, sure looks like it. Should have the model ID and the serial number stamped in the cast aluminum knee between the transom and the keel.

Vintage Aluminum

Seaman Apprentice

Camera angles can fool the eye. It looks too deep for an FD (and a C, as well) to my eye. At least one pre-1960--they got a little deeper around 1960 or so. Perhaps a Queen Merrie (18 foot) or Queen 16? Does the boat have decks that run along the top side from bow cover to back? That was a Queen Merrie/Queen 16 feature. But, those boats are definitely not 14 footers as an FD would be. Length/beam measurements, transom height, another couple photos will help--unless of course the knee casting/transom tells the story. Good luck.

Shizzy

Ensign

here is a pic of my 68 FD. yours looks deeper and longer. Mine is 14'

IMG_1404.jpg

it also sounds like you are describing the "Aqueduct Transom" Mine has it too

IMG_1540.jpg

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

With just that picture it's hard for me to say what the boat model is. I agree that the spray rails are higher than would be on a FD model, so I'd say it's not a FD.

Could be a Deep C model as pictured? This isn't me or my boat. The model C also has the Aqueduct transom, a great boat for bigger water.
Deep_C_1CE.jpg

Also as Shizzy's boat, I have this picture of my 1968 FD Aqueduct transom.
DCP_1969E50.jpg

alumanaut

Seaman Apprentice

River - Runner and others,

Are the bow decks on these old Alumacraft FDs and Cs stiff enough to step up on, when stepping ashore or back aboard from shore? Or is the bow to teetery to even try it regardless of strength?

Shizzy

Ensign

I have slid across mine dozens of times. Im only about 155lbs, but its a pretty stout piece.

super cs

Seaman Apprentice

With just that picture it's hard for me to say what the boat model is. I agree that the spray rails are higher than would be on a FD model, so I'd say it's not a FD.

Could be a Deep C model as pictured? This isn't me or my boat. The model C also has the Aqueduct transom, a great boat for bigger water.
Deep_C_1CE.jpg

Hey - that's me! At an AOMCI meet in the Thousand Islands a few years ago.

Yep, that's my Deep C. Great boat! Built like a tank. And yes, I can stand on the front deck and jump up and down. The FD's deck will hold me, but I wouldn't jump up and down on it. And that's about 240 pounds.

The Queen Merrie's a whole 'nother game. If the Deep C's a tank, the QM's even more so. Higher sided, wider, heavier.

gee cee

Cadet

E-mail Alumacraft, and give them the hull# sometimes they can help

sandusky

Cadet

Could it be a Flying D with some of the interior removed? my son's hull on his Flying D is identical to my FD with the exception of seats , ribs, that run length of the boat and a spray rail that is mounted higher on the side of the hull. good luck, sandusky