Thoughts on 2005 Lunker LTD Tiller (50HP Yamaha)

jrhofman

Cadet
I am considering a 2005 16ft Lunker LTD Tiller with a a 2004 F50 Yamaha 4 Stroke. Anybody else us a similar combo. I'm just wondering about performance, can you troll down slow enough, etc.<br /><br />I know I'm not under powered since this is the biggest motor the boat can handle.<br /><br />Also, The dealer said the 4 Cyl 50 would troll slower than a 3 Cyl 40. Any thoughts here?

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Thoughts on 2005 Lunker LTD Tiller (50HP Yamaha)

I think it depends what you are trolling for......you may not be able to get slow enough for something like a walleye.....but im not sure.<br /><br />You may wanna ask this is outboard non-repair Q's....those guys have a much better idea of how slow a troll you can get out of that motor, and how you will have to prop it to get it there.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Thoughts on 2005 Lunker LTD Tiller (50HP Yamaha)

I had almost the same boat (Lunker SS) with a 4 cyl. Mercury Classic 50 on it and now I have a 3 cyl. Classic 40 hp on a small 14' FD Alumacraft boat. These motors are tiller steer 2 stroke.<br /><br />For me and the type of trolling I do, which is slow, these motors are to big. So I used a 2 cyl. 4 hp kicker motor and also had a transom electric motor on the Lunker. On the small FD boat I use a transom electric motor. I also have electric motors on the bows of both boats.<br /><br />You are talking 4 stroke.... don't know if it would be much different and depends on how slow you want to troll. That motor should be ideal for the boat, but it is a big motor to be used for that size of boat for trolling and I think it would be to fast for me. I would buy the 50 hp motor. I prefer the biggest motor allowed. My Lunker SS (later renamed Backtroller) was rated 50 hp tiller and 75 hp with console.<br /><br />You would like that rig. I sure liked mine! 4 cylinders are really nice. I like a lot of cylinders on small outboards and I wouldn't concern myself to much with the trolling speed of the primary motor. Just see how it goes and if you want, you can always add a kicker motor or a electric motor.<br /><br />Just my thoughts.