1978 Aerocraft Monte Carlo II

nikster22

Recruit
Hi,

I am new to this particular forum, and I can't seem to find much info on the later-model Aerocraft boats anywhere. I am in the central NY area, and a '78 Aerocraft Monte Carlo II (open bow) is available locally. The hull is in great shape (glossy, if you can believe it) and doesn't show any signs of having sat in the water for extended periods. I didn't see any cracks, and very few scratches. It's got a Mercruiser 898 that supposedly runs. Outdrive is clean as well and doesn't show damage. The major issue is that the floor is shot. I was able to poke at the base of the transom in the bilge and it felt solid, as did the stringers in that area, but that is about all I can get to with the floor still in place.

My question is: does anyone know if the Monte Carlos were prone to transom/stringer rot? The floor is REALLY bad and needs replacement, a job I wouldn't mind tackling. However, transom and stringer repair I think is further than I personally am willing to go. The current owner has had the boat since the mid-90's. The floor apparently took a turn for the worse when the boat was stored outside recently over a winter and the cover blew off, so it sat with snow in it. The drain plug is out, so I don't believe it was ever full of water. I know the rot question is a tricky one that no one can give me a yes or no to, I am just generally curious about what issues have been seen with these models in terms of rot.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Nik

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: 1978 Aerocraft Monte Carlo II

First off, welcome to iboats! By far the best forum that I've ever found for all things boating. As for your questions, AeroCraft Boats has some great info on Aerocraft boats.

No particular brand of boat is more or less susceptible to transom rot then any other, its how the boat was cared for. If the floors are bad, likely the transom will be bad too. Do you have any pics? And again, welcome aboard!

nikster22

Recruit
Re: 1978 Aerocraft Monte Carlo II

First off, welcome to iboats! By far the best forum that I've ever found for all things boating. As for your questions, AeroCraft Boats has some great info on Aerocraft boats.

No particular brand of boat is more or less susceptible to transom rot then any other, its how the boat was cared for. If the floors are bad, likely the transom will be bad too. Do you have any pics? And again, welcome aboard!

Thanks for the reply! I am excited to be here.

I checked over the Aerocraft Boats link when I found the boat. Unfortunately, it reads more like an archive than a forum/information site, so I didn't get much there. Here is the craigslist post with some hull pics: 18' INBOARD OUTBOARD BOAT

I can post some of the floor if you're interested. Based on what you say, the stringers and transom probably are gone because the floor is just shot, mushy in some places. Hull looks pretty clean though, no? That's what drew me to it!