Got Aerocraft?

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1956 Aerocraft, was originally a runabout, but someone cut the foredeck out before I got it to put in a fishing seat. I use it as a fishing boat, it's a great hull and with a 1976 Merc 20 hp motor it gets up on plane nicely and really scoots along.

Any other Aerocrafters out there?

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Got Aerocraft?

I'm the proud owner of a 1967 AeroCraft 12' aluminum V-hull- "The Loon" is what she was named many decades ago.

I inherited it from my Grandpa when he passed and I've used it at his cottage on Lake Huron for my entire life(since I've been old enough to row around).

I will be adding a restoration link for it soon as I've been doing some work on her since last spring. I brought her downstate from her northern location near Alpena and I've been exploring some shallow rivers and such around Lansing.

Also my dad has a 1970s AeroCraft 17' aluminum canoe that's served us very well thru the years:)

Pictures of both vessels can be seen by clicking on the boat pics link below:D

Glad to see the AeroCraft link added to the manufacturers list.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I have a 1956 Aerocraft, was originally a runabout, but someone cut the foredeck out before I got it to put in a fishing seat. I use it as a fishing boat, it's a great hull and with a 1976 Merc 20 hp motor it gets up on plane nicely and really scoots along.

Any other Aerocrafters out there?

What is the length of the '56?

If you have pictures we'd love to see her!

I will be adding some pictures to this thread shortly:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

http://www.fiberglassics.com/aerocraft/

Link to Fiberglassics AeroCraft brochure page.

Some nice looking old boats from 1967 in there:cool:

Mine is the 12' lightweight that is rated for a 7.5 HP outboard and only weighs 86lbs. total. Pretty easy to maneuver on the water or trailer.

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is my little 12' Aerocraft 1960s V-hull rowboat in action on Lake Huron. They were built in Saginaw, Michigan near the big lake and I do see quite a few around this area:D
P0001033.jpg

A more recent picture...
DSCF2617.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is a 1970s 17' AeroCraft aluminum canoe that's seen quite a lot of action throughout the past decades:)
DSCF0586.jpg

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

Glad to hear from other AeroCrafters out there! I haven't been on this forum lately, sorry to have been unresponsive. Great, solid boats. Still use mine whenever I can, no leaks.

ayeckley

Recruit

I picked up a 1963 14' Aerocraft runabout a couple of months ago. It came equipped with a 1961 Johnson FD-15 18HP and trailer. So far the restoration has been limited to rebuilding the vintage trailer and replacing the steering cable. Next year my DD13 and I will start a more agressive restoration but for now we're enjoying hugging the shores near Marblehead, OH.

Even though there's a 1963 Aerocraft brochure on Fiberglassics I haven't been able to match ours up with any of the models. It's really, really similar to a Vanguard except it's rated for 30HP instead of 40HP, and the transom width is narrower. I'd love to find some pictures of how it's "supposed" to look if anybody has any.

Pictures:
http://www.elektronforge.com/outgoing/HPIM1723.jpg
http://www.elektronforge.com/outgoing/HPIM1724.jpg
http://www.elektronforge.com/outgoing/HPIM1725.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

ayeckley that's a nice-looking rig:) Have you found any more info on the boat?

ayeckley

Recruit

Nothing yet, I'm afraid. I guess most of these have been melted down by now. They clearly aren't as popular as some of the other makes of aluminum boat. Luckily the boat is simple enough that a big collector community isn't necessary to be able to keep it up and running.

We've now got the "correct" quick-disconnect for the Johnson tiller so we no longer have to uncouple and fight the steering cables when we remove the outboard, and we've replaced a couple of faulty (leaky) rivets. Also picked up a neat little OEM Johnson towing eye that attaches to the outboard; haven't seen one before. I'm hoping I can use it to drag a tube and rider through the water without putting too big of a load on the transom. We discovered a leak in the Johnson FD-15 lower unit so we haven't had it on the water in the last six weeks or so. I'm rebuilding a "spare" lower unit that I picked up on eBay, mostly as practice before tacking the same task on the original lower unit. I think we'll still get in a couple of floats yet this year, weather permitting. If not, that's OK too.

The wood on the transom (both inboard and outboard) really is on its last legs. I don't think it's supporting the outboard properly. Lucky for me, there's a place just down the road that specializes in marine-grade woods, so I need to pop down there this week and get a sheet of 3/4" marine-grade Douglas Fir. Looks like I'll have plenty extra if anybody needs about a 4' x 4' section. I already have the rivets I need in hand, so once the wood is got it should be a one-day job to get it replaced. Should be.:p

I'd love to find one of the vintage transom plates (377427) listed in the Accessories Catalog for my year of motor. There's a couple of places that claim to have it, but I suspect it's not going to be the same as the original style.

If I get a chance I'll post some pictures of the more interesting parts of the boat, just for other folks to refer to if need be.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hi ayeckley glad to hear you are working on the old girl:D

You are right in saying that these old Aerocrafts don't have a huge following but with folks like you and myself restoring them they will not be forgotten any time soon:) They are easy to work on thankfully;)

I'd be careful about tubing until that transom is redone...I'm currently working on mine as well...new wood, 3M 5200 sealant and stainless bolts should do it.

Thanks for checking in and good luck with your Aerocraft...hopefully you can splash her a few more times this season.

By the way where are you located...I'm north of Lansing, MI and if you have some extra marine-grade wood I could probably find a use for it if you are nearby.

Good luck with your rig and I would love to see some more photos:)

reelfishin

Captain

I've been looking a mid 60's AeroCraft Trihull, it's in pretty decent shape with a running 50 hp, but the floor is just plywood over fiberglass?
I don't see any stringers and the seat boxes are attached right to the bottom of the boat? Does anyone have any pics of another one of these? Particularly the inside and deck areas?
The boat has twin drains, both are at the bottom outer corners of the transom.
The transom is single wall with wood only at the top secured in place only by the transom tie down loops. The wood panel runs the width of the transom but only about 10" down. It could no doubt be replaced without removing the cap.
The gunwales both have sealed chambers for flotation, (there are stickers on both sides warning not to mount anything or to drill into those areas).

I believe the model is a Maverick, I was at fiberglassics.com but what I need is to look at another boat to see what was original in these. I find it strange that it don't have a proper floor. The plywood in it now is no doubt added, I can lift it right out and see that the floor is the bottom of the boat with no real stringers, just the form of the trihull which has several lightly glassed in panels which flatten the floor for walking. There is no foam flotation at all.
The bow area is separate and part of the cap, there's a wall to step over to get between the consoles and the bow area, which is raised, has it's own drains out both sides.

Bartman01

Recruit

I own a 14' Aero Craft aluminum semi "V" it rides upon a sears trailer and has a 18hp (1957) evinrude that runs like a charm. This boat has a helm with cable steering and a tiller handle on the motor as well so you can operate it from either place. Thinking about selling it in the spring, what is it worth? I just went thru everything on the engine (points, coils, wires, carbs, lower unit seals etc. I even rebuilt the fuel tank) It is painted camo on the outside, however; the inside is factory spatter type paint mostly green with lighter color spatters.

DaHapstah

Recruit

I've just aquired a pre - 1963 (?) AeroCraft 14' jon boat. I can only suppose it's a pre '63 because that was when Browning bought them out, I think. Logically, if it was made after '63 the decals would say "Browning AeroCraft" or something like that, I would think.

Interesingly, the decal only has the "AeroCraft" name and not the ship graphic underneath, so based on that I think the boat may be considerably older than '63.

It currently has about 5 coats of different paints on it and a few rivet leaks, as well as a small split in the hull - all reparable IMO.

I'll be powering this boat with a 1956 Johnson SeaHorse 5.5.

Best of all - boat and motor were free.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've just aquired a pre - 1963 (?) AeroCraft 14' jon boat. I can only suppose it's a pre '63 because that was when Browning bought them out, I think. Logically, if it was made after '63 the decals would say "Browning AeroCraft" or something like that, I would think.

Interesingly, the decal only has the "AeroCraft" name and not the ship graphic underneath, so based on that I think the boat may be considerably older than '63.

It currently has about 5 coats of different paints on it and a few rivet leaks, as well as a small split in the hull - all reparable IMO.

I'll be powering this boat with a 1956 Johnson SeaHorse 5.5.

Best of all - boat and motor were free.

Nice score there dahapstah:)

Sounds like a nice little project, I have a few things left to do on my 12' AeroCraft, you should start a restoration thread and post some photos:D

ayeckley

Recruit

Update:

I bought a 1964 Aerocraft catalog off eBay recently. I guess it makes sense that a boat manufactured in 1963 would be considered a 1964 model, like cars are. It turns out that ours is a QD-14 Ski Dart. There was a good enough picture in the catalog to see how it looked originally, and it turns out that this one hasn't been too badly molested after all.

Funny to think that back then this would qualify as a ski boat. By modern standards - forget it.

Looking forward to spring...

tinkertinker

Seaman
New to me - 1958 Aerocraft

New to me - 1958 Aerocraft

Here she is.
Apparently anodized yellow on the deck and seatbacks, blue or purple elsewhere?

Soft nose, curved hips. Lovely! Original ( I think) electric start Evinrude 35hp outboard.

Attachments

• IMG_1222 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1222 (Large).JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1223 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1223 (Large).JPG
    74 KB · Views: 0

DaHapstah

Recruit

Update on my old Aerocraft:

Well, it turns out that based on Aerocraft's production numbers I have a 1954 S-14. It also turned out that my motoer is in fact a 1954 Johnson Seahorse 5.5! I decided to name the rig the "Time Bandit". I've spent the past months (on and off) stripping off the old paint, sealing all the rivets - the sticks that Cabelas sells are awesome for this task BTW - I added some diamond tread aluminum to the bow and replaced the missing bow eye and grab handle, removing the bathroom towel bar that a previous owner put on it. Finally, I wrapped it in a coat of wonderful olive drab paint made by Parker that I also got from Cabelas.

I gave the trailer a new deck. It was still set up for a V hull and was denting the crap out of the Jon. Shot a fresh coat of paint on it and re wired it.

As for the motor - I decided to do the vacuum pump conversion I saw on "old boat motor dot org (or whatever that site was). It work - eh - ok. One unintended consequence is that the port that supplies the pulse is waaaay wet and it froths a little bit of fuel/oil out of the pump's atmospheric vent. This week I'll re-convert it back. I also expect the motor to run better since I suspect that I've fouled up the fuel flow somehow with that conversion. I know a lot of guys don't care for the pressurized systems but I'm not particularly concerned that I'll get blown up.

All in all the rig runs nice and it's perfect for my local river. Bad luck I guess that I finished it this week - the fishing is pretty bad right now :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to hear you've been working on the old tin can, if you want you can post some photos here or start a restoration thread. Sounds like she's a whole new rig:)