I pulled a good one

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My wife and I went to the river on Sunday, we put in and trolled down river for a piece, we fished for about 30 minutes, sense we weren't getting any bites we decided to go back up river to the dam, I turned around to start the outboard and realized I forgot to put the fuel tank in the boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had something pretty close to this happen to me a few decades ago. These two guys (I hate to use the word friends, now) ask me to go with them fishing the river. Now up to this point, I really didn't know much about fishing and so this sounded interesting. As we got to the river ramp, we put everything in the boat and attached the 25 horse OB on the transom. The owner then pushed off and down the river we started. He then attaches the fuel line and primes the fuel bulb and starts pulling the pull start rope. After about ten tries, I ask him if the engine actually runs. His answer was this "yes it started the last time I used it...two years ago". I knew right then we were not going to get that engine started that day. And with the harsh current we had no other way to get back to the ramp again. So we tried our best to get the boat to the side of that river. After about ten more minutes, we finally got the boat to the river side. Now we had to climb our way through the brush and scrub trees and pull that boat out and drag it back the trailer. That was about half a mile or more down river... I never went with them ever again! :faceplam:

ziggy

Admiral
bummer stories. when i've done river boating, i always like to go up river from the ramp. if something fails, at some point, i know i'll float by the loading ramp. if i do go down river, it only after i've gone up river 1st to see if my rig is up to the task. i run the missouri river and it's pretty fast. ya sure can go a long ways down river real fast and coming back up is much slower and much more fuel usage too. rivers aren't lakes by any means.... a whole different game. imho, more dangerous..

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Luckily we had the trolling motor and it was a calm day on the Ky. river.