Another Prop bites the Dust

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Was at the ramp today, test running my boat for the first time since winter, when we launched, i was idling at the dock waiting on my First Mate to park the truck and come back. A new or otherwise not knowing boat owner, has a friend backing him into the water while he was in the boat. Outdrive all the way down before he gets in the water. As he continues to direct his driver down the ramp, the boat jerks forward onto the trailer bow post. By now the boater and his driver have figured out something just isnt right here. They pull up a little, trim the outdrive up, back down again. This time they get off the trailer, by now my first mate is back and we leave the dock. after tooling around for 30 minutes or so, we go back to the dock, pick up the admiral and crew, and the fellow we were watching earlier has his boat on the trailer, there it is straight in front of all of us, his a single blade on his prop is bent almost a 90 deg angle. The saving grace for him is the skeg is still in one piece.

Maybe he learned his lesson, but is was an inexpensive lesson i hope. As far as i know, the engine wasnt running though.

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Once, I was backing the boat up the driveway, was trying to get it as close to the garage door as possible. Now the garage door has an impression the shape of a prop blade.....and I have a prop on the shelf that needs to be fixed. Live and learn (and pay).

Government cheese

Seaman Apprentice
Don't let your non-boating friends use your boat without you in it. In their defense, we didn't have much rain that year and the water was down a lot.
In addition to this wrecked prop, my tube rope was wrapped around it and destroyed. Next time we just want to drink ourselves into a coma I'll take the pontoon where I will have shade.