Can you believe it

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Years ago I was at the boat ramp putting my boat in. I am getting ready to pull out when another quickly pulls in next to me and proceeded to launch his boat. The man exits his truck and all of a sudden his truck starts rolling backwards without him in it. It happened so fast I thought it was me so I am pushing on the brakes. I look back and the guys boat is floating but truck and trailer are completely underwater. I hear the guy exclaim @#&% that's the third time this year that this has happened, I have to get that transmission fixed. And if that wasn't strange enough this next part will blow you away. When the man exited the vehicle he attemted to put a rock under the left front wheel to stop its descent. Truck just bounced over rock and kept going. Probably would have worked had it been a flintstone mobile.

John Wayne once said: Life is tough enough, its really hard when you are stupid.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not too sure folks know that when in revere the parking brakes has very little to do with stopping a vehicle with drum brakes. However if he did put it into park, the transmission should have kept it from moving. There is a little paw inside the tranny to stop any movement to the exiting drive shaft. But if that little paw is broken or worn or even miss adjusted...bye bye vehicle... And of course gravity surely helps that slow descend to the water line.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If it happened 3 times..... It will probably happen again. The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting different results

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If it happened 3 times..... It will probably happen again. The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting different results

A smart man would try a different rock! But that may be giving undue credit. :eek: LOL

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thing is truck was completely under water. That means transmission engine and rearend are contaminated. Just wondering if other two times truck went under as well. Cant imagine a vehicle able to survive that. Only saving grace if there is one -it was an old truck.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If his truck went completely under water, I can't see it ever running again without total disassembling the differential, transmission and of course the engine for starters. And ever electrical system is now questionable. So seem he is driving an accident just waiting to happen!

Expidia

Commander
I was cruising by the rogers rock campsite on lake george ny a couple of years ago and came across these genius's.
I was just telling my wife how dangerous this launch is as the camper/boaters might only use their boats a couple of times a year and are very inexperienced or drunk and more likely both :lol:

They are all standing their scratching their heads and probably saying " oh, so thats what that little chain is for under the bow winch" hahaha

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW they do have a situation. I think I would tilt the engine up and take the trailer or even the SUV and slowly push the boat into the water and hope for the best. Because I'm reasonably sure they don't have a strong enough winch or strap to winch that back on the trailer...

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
If his truck went completely under water, I can't see it ever running again without total disassembling the differential, transmission and of course the engine for starters. And ever electrical system is now questionable. So seem he is driving an accident just waiting to happen!

Show me the CARFAX! :eek:

dwco5051

Commander
One night years ago I came into the launch area and noticed somewhat of a commotion and two lights glowing from under the water. Realizing what had happened I tied up at the courtesy dock and walked over to help and realized the truck under water belonged to a friend that was in the same bass club as me.

It was a 1970 something Ford and they were well known for jumping out of park and they were in fact the subject of a large Federal investigation for this problem.

The most interesting thing about this mishap was that my friend?s job was as service manager for the local Ford dealership.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would tilt the motor up and try to winch the boat back onto the trailer at least far enough to back it into the water and float it on properly.
then start reading the and repeating the quote on his rear window.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I would tilt the motor up and try to winch the boat back onto the trailer at least far enough to back it into the water and float it on properly.
then start reading the and repeating the quote on his rear window.

thats what I did....

and I knew to do that because

that what dad told me he did when his hit the ramp....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Just an FYI, A full size Chevy truck will float for 6 minutes with the engine running and the windows closed before "DIVE,DIVE,DIVE"