Unhook boat from trailer...not trailer from truck

pnhigg

Cadet
Local public boat ramp. Some of us not far from the dock on a weekday. Guy is in what looks like a new bass boat with a 225 mercury. Engine is screeming but the boat is moving relatively slowly plowing a bunch of water.
He pulls over to us and is exasperated. Asks us if we know anything about boat motors. Dealer said this boat should run 60mph and he can't get over 30mph. Buddy of mine, seeing the trailer tongue sticking out of the water, along with the top of the trailer fenders, tells the new boater in a dry, matter of fact way "I don't know a lot about boat motors, but I do know if you will leave that trailer hooked to the truck you will pick up a few mph" Guy sheepishly thanked us and drove back to ramp, hooked trailer up to the truck, launched the boat, and proceeded to stretch his new boat's legs. Waved and thanked us as he shot past us. We about fell out of the boat laughing

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Something like this, needed a picture.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I also don't believe the story. This one gets told so many times and it is never seen 1st hand by the story teller.

Last edited:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
At our lake in the Adirondacks, there's an old-timer who gets his trailer across the lake (no road access to his camp) by this method - on purpose. I did not believe it til I saw it. i'd love to see what he's got rigged up on the other side of the lake to handle the trailer. Folks are very self-sufficient up there. Wish I had a picture.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
5e07e4b2-72e7-38e6-1655145.jpg

roffey

Commander
At our lake in the Adirondacks, there's an old-timer who gets his trailer across the lake (no road access to his camp) by this method - on purpose. I did not believe it til I saw it. i'd love to see what he's got rigged up on the other side of the lake to handle the trailer. Folks are very self-sufficient up there. Wish I had a picture.

I can see doing it just to move the trailer across water but to do it not knowing the trailer was for the road and not water....

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
My BS-o-meter just blew itself up.... :eek:
Especially the part about actually getting 30 MPH with the trailer attached.

Last edited:

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's a funny story, actually a joke, and common sense tells us if you got the IQ to run a boat you got the IQ to leave the trailer connected. Now I once left my trolling motor down and beached my boat. And another time I forgot to remove the bungee strap holding the stern to the trailer and when I back into the water the bungee strap broke as the boat floated up from the trailer. I'll not embarrass myself any more by telling about the two times I backed my trailer wheels off the end of the ramp :embarassed: