Boat retrieval in record time!

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We (wife and I) can. Although we add a step by putting winch strap and emergency chain on before heading up the ramp. Every couple we know does it the same way. Hubby drives the tow vehicle and wife drives the boat. No biggie.

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Guy that I learned to bass fish from, Him and His Wife were just like that.
He backed the boat down and She drove on the trailer.
Now if only they got along that good when they were fishing!

Steve A W

southkogs

Staff member
I used to turn the engine off earlier than that :D Just barely bumped the bow stop.

I winch it on these days so the Admiral can take it easy.

Maclin

Admiral
Yeah, in that video they came in kind of hot for my liking. And you cannot see the actual prep time of getting the trailer down the ramp, how long they had the lane tied up, seems to me that is part of the total boat retrieval time.

My brother and I, if the traffic allowed, liked to have the trailer coming down the ramp and the boat headed to the trailer and have the boat come up on the bunks just after the trailer stopped. He was good at backing and I piloted the boat, then he hopped out and gave the winch a couple of cranks, hopped back in the truck and up the ramp, maybe 1 or 2 minutes counting from when his turn at the ramp came. If I got in a hurry it would take a little longer as I had to wait and realign :)

eavega

Lieutenant
My wife and I usually have a slightly more leisurely pace to load up the boat, but its still a fairly quick process. She backs the trailer in, when I see the trailer in the water I motor in. She extends the winch hook, and I run the boat up onto the trailer. She hooks the winch and cranks a bit, I give it one push on the throttle to get it right up to the bow stop and she tightens up the winch. While she climbs back into the truck, I raise the motor, and we are away. The rest of it is taken care of off the ramp (pull the plug, put away the top, empty the boat.
Of course, this weekend it was a little different in that we had a severe thunderstorm sneak up on us as we were approaching the dock. 30 MPH cross wind and driving rain, with thunder and lighting adding to the fun!

Rgds

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
It's really not that hard to get loaded up that quick, it just takes two people working together, that know what they are doing to get it done efficiently and timely. I think they came in hot in the video too, no need to go that fast and cause possible damage to the boat or trailer. I've seen guys do that and miss the rubber V on the trailer and gouge out a nice chunk out of the bow area on the boat. Kind of embarrassing and unnecessary IMO.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
My wife and I can. Her in the truck me in the boat. But we've only done it once or twice, all the other times I take the extra 30 seconds to hook up the winch strap and emergency cable, although I've had those times where it takes a lot longer than that. The real trick is getting the trailer at just the right spot so the boat rests right at the bow stop without having to crank it up, my wife has this down as we always use the same two ramps. The other "trick" is to have a bunk trailer that is fitted to your boat so you can be reasonably sure it landed properly.

Now that I type that out I realize it has nothing to do with me (the boat driver) :)

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well considering I'm usually dealing with an unprotected river current, I think I'll stick to walking the boat on the trailer. You guys that are doing it this way must have years of practice to perfect it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I used to drive on the trailer like that when fishing with dad. would drop him at shore so he could get the truck and trailer, then circle until he backed down the ramp. by the time he got out to hook the winch, I had coasted against the bow stop and was trimming up the motor. It took more time to add the motor deflopinator and transom straps then it did to retrieve the boat.

Launching was just as easy. usually rode in the boat down the ramp, and as soon as the boat hit the water, was lowering the motor. had it running at fast idle by the time dad unhooked, then I would back off, circle to warm it up, and pick up everyone at shore when they got back down

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
Easy to do with a Boat Buddy. Drive on, Boat Buddy latches the bow eye, drive up the ramp to prep her for trailering.

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not me. Roller trailer and the wife can't drive my van or the boat.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Easy to do with a Boat Buddy. Drive on, Boat Buddy latches the bow eye, drive up the ramp to prep her for trailering.

Yep I`ve got one too and it keeps us from getting wet feet. Especially in the winter.

Cap'nHandy

Seaman
Roller trailers DEMAND a safety chain at least - or your going to set another record for how fast you can launch the boat on dry ramp... Speed is always less important than safety. When I see safe being bypassed to hurry up, or to "impress people", I just tend to think of them as stupid gone to seed...

Blaine

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I spray liquid rollers on my bunks which makes them almost as susceptiple to dry launching as rollers.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Driving on and driving off is is pretty standard procedure around there. Drop a guy off to get the truck, make a couple of circles, drive on, clip chain and drive away.
30 seconds tops......

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Have not talked the wife into backing the trailer yet . Or driving the boat so it takes a bit longer .. When son in law is there it takes about 1 or 2 minutes tops . The current would slow things down a bit until I installed guide post ...

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Driving on and driving off is is pretty standard procedure around there. Drop a guy off to get the truck, make a couple of circles, drive on, clip chain and drive away.
30 seconds tops......

Where I go, people are so dog gone slow I can hardly stand it. It's rare, but wonderful to see people who aren't lollygagging around clogging up the ramp..

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
With my 12ft boat, I would put waders on, walk down in the water, and guide the boat onto the trailer. Now with my 16ft alum, I cut the engine and coast up the bunks to a stop. Then climb over the front and winch it up the rest of the way and put the chain on after that's tight. Back straps can wait until I'm out of the way.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Must be a pleasure to be able to use ramps that are deep enough to do that every time! 80% of the time I'm at gravel ramps that one would have to back the tow vehicle in till the front tires are wet and the trailer still wouldn't be deep enough to drive on. But the fishin sure is great!