Brake line popped

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
We waited until most of the crowd had loaded up before the wife backed our trailer down and I loaded the pontoon boat up. She drove on up to the parking lot and told me "we have a problem I felt the brakes pop while backing down and so I threw the truck into drive gear and yanked the boat out." It was midnight before the wrecker finished towing the truck to the tow yard and us and the boat to a motel. The guys at the tow yard replaced the brake line and so we made it home late yesterday. I told the tow truck driver how lucky I felt we were that the truck stopped before it went into the water he said "YEP I've towed some of those too."

southkogs

Staff member
An "Atta-Gal" to the Admiral for quick thinkin' too!

Glad it wasn't worse for ya'.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
How old is this truck? You should still have at least one front and opposite rear brake working if a line popped.

davras

Recruit
When I saw 'brake line popped', I thought I wasn't the only one...but this was on a car...

How to properly pop a brake line:
1. Hook boat up to car
2. Forget to put in the pins that hold the extending/retractable tongue.
3. Pull forward and POP! Your surge brake is now leaking fluid on the road. (Well, mine was anyway)

To avoid this in the future, put the tongue pins _into_ the safety chains/cables. Can't connect the safety chains without removing the pins, so you have to install the pins first.