Ever wanted to chase down another boater and give them a beat down ?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
All I can say is YES way to may times and why I moved permanently to a 9.9 lake. NO bass holes NO jet fleas or NO wake boarders, and its been the best choice I have ever made.

bfjou812

Seaman Apprentice
I had a similar incident a few years ago. Some dumbass thought I was creating too much wake in a canal and chased me down. He wanted to get into a real beat down, I'm 6'4" and 275 lbs. He was about 5'10" and more mouth than anything. He had a "picture of my boat " and called the Sheriffs Department , they came out , looked at his "evidence " and showed him that the color of the boat wasn't the same,and the registration numbers were not even close................The Sheriff arrested him for DUI ..................just make sure you have all the facts...........had he not called the Sheriffs and proceeded to do what he planned I would have beat his ass to a pulp..............

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We were on Canyon Lake in Texas in mid July sailing our small boats with our Sea Scout troop. I was on my hobie with one of the kids and our Skipper was on a 19' dolphin with 3 kids. We were sailing along in light winds and I'm probably 100 feet behind him kind of gaining on him. I see a ski boat in the distance pulling a kid on a tube and coming right at us. I'm thinking man this guy is going to split right between us. Nope instead he stays right on his course which is on a direct collision course with Skipper's boat. I would say the boat is probably 45 degrees of Skipper's bow and coming on about 20 mph or so. The guy doesn't turn and skipper is forced to do a quick Jibe to avoid hitting the guy. For those of you that don't know sailing terminology, a Jibe is having to turn the boat with the wind at your back side, which means everything has to happen quick and the back of the sail and boom swing all the way over the back of the boat to the opposite side and everyone has to physically move from one side of the boat to the other while ducking so they don't get hit with the boom/sail. Not exactly something you want to do when you're not ready for it. Needless to say Skipper had a few choice words to say to the idiot ski boat driver and the boat driver yelled back at him saying he had the right of way because he was pulling a skier on a tube. I guess the guy has never read any kind of boating regulations probably like many others out there.

junglerat007

Cadet
I have experienced similar amounts of stupidity. I was tied to the dock with motor raised while talking to my three year old daughter about the days catch and looking at the other boats. When an idiot with his family tried to reverse out of the slip and do a power turn. He failed and used my prop to finish the turn as a bumper. Minimal damage to my prop but he was left with an 8 foot gouge to his boat. Then has the audacity to yell at me and say it was my fault. He thought he would offer to help, with what? I said a new prop would help and he got mad at me for his boats damage. I got my gaff (a hickory sludge hammer handle with a gaff hook on it) and prepared for the worst. His wife begged him to apologize while the other boaters called the police. He gunned it and fled away down the channel at full speed, 25 knots over the posted and enforced speed limit. Guys like theses get what's coming to them, they choke in their sleep or fall down stairs. Good people don't need to stoop to their lows, it will only get us in trouble in the end. We should have known better is was the cops will tell you as you watch them get in an ambulance, after you beat them till your hand went soft. Know you did the right thing and use it to teach the young ones what it means to be the bigger person. Sounds cheesy but it will keep your conscience clear.

thumpar

Admiral
Pistol permits do vary from state to state. However I was refering to states that have gun regulations. Not TN.
Not sure what you mean by that. We have separate stronger regulation than federal on handguns. My wife and I both have CC permits. We can open carry or CC legally. There is always at least one pistol on our boat.

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
[h=2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

Tennessee[edit][/h] Main article: Gun laws in Tennessee
State permit to purchase?NoNoNoneNo
Firearm registration?NoNoNoneNo
"Assault weapon" law?NoNoNoneNo
Magazine capacity restriction?NoNo
Owner license required?NoNoNoneNo
Carry permits issued?No*YesT.C.A. § 39-17-1351[SUP][31][/SUP]Permits are "shall-issue". Concealed or open carry of a handgun is allowed with permit. *Loaded long gun carry is generally illegal. Those with a Handgun Carry Permit(HCP) holders may have loaded long guns in a private vehicle so long as there is not a round in the chamber T.C.A. § 39-17-1307(e)[SUP][31][/SUP] There are also other exceptions (like for hunting) listed in 39-17-1307.[SUP][31][/SUP]
Open carry permitted?YesYesT.C.A. § 39-17-1307
T.C.A. § 39-17-1308[SUP][31][/SUP]
Open carry of loaded handguns is permitted for those who have been issued a license to carry. Long guns may only be carried unloaded.
State preemption of local restrictions?YesYesT.C.A. § 39-17-1314[SUP][31][/SUP]State preemption, except that local ordinances in effect before April 8, 1986 preempt State law, per T.C.A. § 39-17-1314(a).[SUP][31][/SUP] Local governments may post signs per T.C.A. § 39-17-1359[SUP][31][/SUP] to prohibit carry on government property, just like private property owners.
NFA weapons restricted?NoNoNoneOn July 1, 2003 public chapter 275 is in effect. It requires the CLEO, chief law enforcement officer, to sign NFA paperwork in 15 days if the applicant is not prohibited from possessing firearms. see T.C.A. § 39-17-1361.[SUP][31][/SUP]
Peaceable journey laws?NoNoNoneFederal rules observed.
Self-defense lawYesYesT.C.A. § 39-11-611[SUP][31][/SUP]There is no duty to retreat before using deadly force, as long as you are acting lawfully and are in a place you have a right to be in. It is presumed you had a reasonable fear of imminent death or serious bodily injury if someone unlawfully and forcibly enters a residence, business, dwelling or vehicle.

Subject/Law Long guns Handguns Relevant Statutes Notes

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I live in Michigan on Lake St Clair and there are a LOT of boats here!! I feel EVERYONE that wants to purchase OR drive a boat needs to take the coast guard safety course to get a boating license issued. Boats are more dangerous than a car due to the fact at least in a car, you have had driver's training or would not have got a license to drive, and on the lake, there are no lanes or traffic lights. YOU NEED TO KNOW THE RULES, and most people out there driving the boats do not know them!!! The boater's driving license should become mandatory in every state in our nation. Take the course even though it's not mandatory. It is good to know the rules!!! I made both of my sons take the course before they were allowed to take the boat out onto the lake.