Why aren't we going as fast as we usually do ?

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
So we are out fishing/scalloping and swimming with a friend and our kids. We head to the flats to let the kids swim since its normally a foot to 3 feet there depending on the tide. So I say to the friend, a young kid, wanna ride the tube. Sure he says and I throw it out and he gets on. Now hes a 100 lbs or so. Skinny lad. Now I am 250 and we can do 10 mph with my fat butt on the tube. So he gets on I start up and take off. Boat feels sluggish. Can't get over 6 mph. Thinking "Oh crap" something is wrong with engine. Can't afford a new one or repairs right now".
THEN it hits me like a 120v shock. **** I FORGOT TO PULL THE ANCHOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pull back to N and go to the front and sure as **** the anchor is down behind the boat being dragged along the bottom. Pull it up and boat runs faster now. UGH ! Dumbass of the day award. Month ?, maybe the year. ?

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
great story! Don't feel bad, that's one of the things like the forgotten drain plug or redesigning the prop with a rock, running aground and some more things. Only a matter of when and not if :)

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Every year we go to the lake with friends, who bring along a pair of supercharged Seadoos. We anchor them just off shore in about 3 feet of water. My wife decided to take one for a run while I was out on the other. Every time she would back off the throttle the jet ski would get very tippy. She finally came back to the dock to figure out why she was having issues. She had taken off the rear anchor line, but didn't know we had an anchor off the front too. She was pulling a big ol anchor along at about 60mph!

NYBo

Admiral
You guys snag anything good with those anchors? Imagine what would have happened if you nailed a big rock or submerged tree.:eek:

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well gee thanks I hadn't thought of that now I have panic in me to make sure I check the anchor EVERY TIME myself now ! LOL

southkogs

Staff member
Brooksville - you didn't forget to raise the anchor. You were calibrating the depth finder. Nudge, nudge ... wink, wink ;)

nwcove

Admiral
......if yer gunna drag an object with "hooks" on it, behind yer boat, at least put some bait on it!!