Yesterday at the boat ramp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Priest Lake in Idaho is not crowded and SO BEAUTIFUL. Lake Pend O'reille (Pronounced Pondoray) in Sandpoint, ID is even bigger

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yep been on those many times as a kid as well as Coeur D'Alene and many others in the area. [h=1][/h]

southkogs

Staff member
It's actually kinda' funny - I almost owe Idaho an apology, myself. Years of potato advertising gives a midwest/southeast guy a skewed view of the state. I saw some photography out of Idaho a few years back that was absolutely stunning. Would love to visit someday.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday at the boat ramp multiple people were tied up to the launch docks as usual (even though there's signs that say not to). Saw one guy yelling at someone and my wife politely explained to the one blocking us how he should use the other docks and was holding every one up (that has to be really embarrassing for a grown man to have a 30 something year old woman in a bikini, who just backed a 25' trailer down the ramp, tell him how to use his boat).

A solo fisherman who couldn't take it anymore backs his 19' ranger down angled slightly away from the family tied up to the launch dock, fires up the 200 HP etec and dumps it into reverse, backs out of the chaos in complete control, docks his boat at the tie up docks, runs back to his truck and is on the water minutes later....like a boss. I saw him in the parking lot and commented on his great driving, here's to you guy that didn't let the inconsiderate people delay his fishing time.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Thats a good one.What kills me are the jet skis that wont crank and the buddy that jumps him off while both of them are standing in knee deep water with jumper cables in their hands.

Its really really hard to cause any damage with +12v batteries. Especially in fresh water.

Last edited:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thats a good one.What kills me are the jet skis that wont crank and the buddy that jumps him off while both of them are standing in knee deep water with jumper cables in their hands.

12 Volts won't do anything to you.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Saw a good one the other day.

Our boat ramps are not monitored, other than boat inspections. The Sheriff will NOT ask people to MOVE IT.

US Forest Service Park Rangers just check stickers and mirror hung day passes. You pay, you play.

A family ( no english spoken) had the whole set up, on the ramp. Foldable picnic table, umbrella, grill and gear. All set up on the closest lane to the dock. Kids swimming off of the ramp. Jumping off of the dock, between boats, etc. Dangerous.

I asked a Park Ranger about it. He said; "they paid their fee, they're entitled". WTH?

Since he didn't speak their language, I guess they get a pass.

We launched at 8:00 AM and they were still there at 2:00 PM.

Must be nice.

SigSaurP229

Commander
The one thing I absolutely can't understand about our local public launch ramp is EVERYBODY wants to back to the passenger side of the vehicle. The lanes are not notated as one way, and there are two really serious rules to learn about backing a trailer.

GOAL
EUNO
TTDO
K
AND ALWAYS BACK to the sight side, NEVER to the passenger (or Blind Side).

64osby

Admiral
Went to look at my local ramp yesterday to see how active the lake was. It was about 3pm. The ramp has a two track down to a gravel parking area that can hold about 10 TV/trailers. The parking area was full and one prepping to launch. I hopped out to take a look and a few other boats arrived and waited up on the two track.

I watched with interest as as a kid about 20 launched his small wake boat with the help of a friend, a girl watched. The boat made it in and the friend went and parked the trailer. The next boat backed to the ramp.

Next thing I see is the Sheriff walk down to the water and wade in. He waves the kids wake boat to shore. The people at the ramp froze not quite knowing what was going on. I'm wondering where the Sheriff came from and what made him wade in to the kids boat when I see the kids boat has no registration numbers on it.

The people at the ramp launched just fine and she pulled away. Had to get back home and went back to my Burb. The Sheriff's TV and boat were two vehicles back on the two track. Had to drive though the brush to get around it.

Still trying to figure out how he saw the kids boat had no reg. numbers on it from 400 feet way. Would love to know what that cost the kid.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Went to look at my local ramp yesterday to see how active the lake was. It was about 3pm. The ramp has a two track down to a gravel parking area that can hold about 10 TV/trailers. The parking area was full and one prepping to launch. I hopped out to take a look and a few other boats arrived and waited up on the two track. I watched with interest as as a kid about 20 launched his small wake boat with the help of a friend, a girl watched. The boat made it in and the friend went and parked the trailer. The next boat backed to the ramp. Next thing I see is the Sheriff walk down to the water and wade in. He waves the kids wake boat to shore. The people at the ramp froze not quite knowing what was going on. I'm wondering where the Sheriff came from and what made him wade in to the kids boat when I see the kids boat has no registration numbers on it. The people at the ramp launched just fine and she pulled away. Had to get back home and went back to my Burb. The Sheriff's TV and boat were two vehicles back on the two track. Had to drive though the brush to get around it. Still trying to figure out how he saw the kids boat had no reg. numbers on it from 400 feet way. Would love to know what that cost the kid.
A good pair of binoculars probably? I'm sure that guy was excited to get his boat in the water but how dumb was he, or else arrogant to the point he didn't care if he was in violation of the law.

iwaterdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I have to share my story. Last year I drove the boat to the ramps on a Saturday. Fished all day and went to pull boat out of the water, had boat on the trailer just fine but went to get in van (yes, minivan) to pull out and the door was locked! The door was locked, van was running and the launch was full of people waiting to launch in and out. Called wife to bring her set of keys, then waited an hour watching people launching in the other 2 lanes available giving me dirty looks. After she showed up I went straight to get another key made and zip tied under van. Oddly enough wife needed that extra key just last month! :)

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
SigSaur,

>GOAL
>EUNO
>TTDO
>K
>AND ALWAYS BACK to the sight side, NEVER to the passenger (or Blind Side).

Could you please elaborate on your acronyms? And please expand on your last statement?

southkogs

Staff member
Howdy Jim ... and welcome aboard:

If you've not had the chance to read our forum rules, please take the time to do so (link below). We ask that you don't resurrect topics that have been inactive over 90 days unless you're original poster.

Feel free to start another topic and ask that question though ... 'cuz I have no clue as to what they mean either :D

Government cheese

Seaman Apprentice
Insane something different today. Normally when I see people launch a boat, there is one person in the tow vehicle and one in the boat, when the boat hits water, they fire it up, back out, and park the boat while the tow vehicle pulls out and parks. This guy and his wife were splashing a shiny Ski Nautique. By the time they had stopped backing, the boat was off the trailer and floating away with no one in it. Only this guy had a rope inbthe bow eye, and when the boat was fairly far out he walked over to the dock and reeled it back in. By that time I was gone, my little twinsport Evinrude puttering don't toward open water.

Status
Not open for further replies.