Embarrassed at the Burger King..........

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
About 3 weeks ago me and the wife were returning home from about 10 hours of boating/fishing in Jackson County WV(Obriens Lake) and were tired and hungry so we pulled into the Burger King there at Fairplain....We stop there usually 12-15 times during the boating season. There is a SHARP turn from the food ordering sign, and my 16' Starcraft is pretty wide so I always swing a bit out or use the outer ordering lane.....No problems ever. However for some reason I swung in there, in the first lane, ordered food and then turned without swinging out. While sitting behind a car that was at the pay window I noticed that there was a pole real close to my load assist bracket, and NO...was not going to clear it. I backed up a bit and turned and still won't clear it. The guy behind me is close so I can't backup much...try again, same crap. Now I see my trolling motor is on one side and the bracket is on the other side so I can't go anywhere....Really getting frustrated now. I see that the guy behind me can now see I am in a mess so they back up a little more, but there is a guy behind him now...again I fail...Now the guy and the OTHER guy behind him back WAY up and I back it up further and finally look OK. And, all the time the two people in Burger King (Pay Window and food window) are sticking their heads out the windows wondering where WTH is going on....Finally get it going and apologize to the Burger folks and haul my embarrassed self to the other side of the lot to eat...and hide.

Last edited:

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer
Been there, done that. Not exactly the same situation and not at Burger King but similar enough that I feel your pain. Pulled into a gas station in the Mexican State of Sonora. Narrow driveway w/two gas pumps in front, parallel to the building. Need to make close turn to get between pumps and building. OOPs, didn't quite turn close enough to clear everything. Now boat is across driveway cocked at almost ninety degree angle to truck. Boat blocking access to pumps on one side, truck blocking driveway on other side. Pull forward tiny bit and stop. Back up tiny bit and stop. finally after a red-faced eternity I manage to clear everything, get gas and leave. I guess I should have been thankful that I was able to provide amusement for the half dozen or so people who were standing around watching my fiasco, but somehow I just couldn't manage it.

southkogs

Staff member
As long as no one posts pictures of ya' to Facebook or YouTube it never happened ... ;)

I'm too big a chicken to tug a boat through the drive-thru.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure how old you are........but one thing I discovered is the older I get the more frequent the little oops moments seem to happen !

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When you finally got to the window, did you order a Big Mac or Chalupa Supreme? :lol:

Zanderman

Cadet
I had an incident where I had gotten into a really tight spot and could NOT get out. Wound up unhooking the boat, manhandling it on the tiny jack wheel and rolling it about 50 feet to be able to get the truck backed up and in line again. Of course this had to happen at the launch with several other boats waiting to launch. Lots of hotties watching the whole time. Come to find out, my brother had bent the snot out of the tongue when he had borrowed it. Didn't bother to tell me. So every time I'd try to angle right, the whole thing would shoot off into a 90 degree angle. Would have been nice to have known that ahead of time. Needless to say, my brother will never borrow my boat or truck again!

Zanderman

Cadet
By the way, my trailer tongue is now a foot shorter, the hitch is new and it backs up nicely again! Of course it was on my dime....

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I have pulled my 28 foot pontoon trailer through that exact same B king several times, if your not very careful it will get you

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Been through that BK many times, although never with a boat in tow. Did take my 19' Stingray through the drive through at McDonald's in Cross Lanes though. Had their parking lot jammed up for several minutes. All traffic in their lot has to exit around the drive though and it is narrow. I had to swing the truck/trailer out in that lane to clear the sign and posts.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
I had an incident where I had gotten into a really tight spot and could NOT get out. Wound up unhooking the boat, manhandling it on the tiny jack wheel and rolling it about 50 feet to be able to get the truck backed up and in line again. Of course this had to happen at the launch with several other boats waiting to launch. Lots of hotties watching the whole time. Come to find out, my brother had bent the snot out of the tongue when he had borrowed it. Didn't bother to tell me. So every time I'd try to angle right, the whole thing would shoot off into a 90 degree angle. Would have been nice to have known that ahead of time. Needless to say, my brother will never borrow my boat or truck again!

You loaned your boat and truck to your brother? WOW, terrifying thought in my case!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Last edited:

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure how old you are........but one thing I discovered is the older I get the more frequent the little oops moments seem to happen !

I'm 76 years old and the one of the best parts of being 76 years old is that while those little oops moments may come more often than they once did, they also fade off into the distant past much quicker than they used to.

SwarmyWench

Cadet
Haha! I don't got the courage to pull my boat through the drive through. I park it and walk in.. last time the building gave my boat a paint job.

BF

Lieutenant

The plus side is that as you get older, you'll find you pretty much get immune to embarrassment. Your kids get embarrassed for you.

racemech11

Cadet
Don't you know what happens at the drive through? They, insert famous line from movie here, at the drive through.

SigSaurP229

Commander
You all should have seen the looks I got when I drug the 30' Pontoon through the Buddy's BBQ drive through in downtown Pigeon Forge. My wife was embarrassed and 30 shades of red.