Toweling off the boat at the ramp after boating......

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
We boat at three smaller lakes, all with a single boat ramp capable of handling two smaller boats at a time. The normal protocol at these ramps when exiting is to hook up your tow vehicle, hook up safety chain and pull up to a level area away from the ramp to unload and finish prep for leaving. Especially in the evening when everyone is headed in. We were headed back to the ramp one evening a couple of weeks ago and I saw a nice 16ft boat pull in on the right well before we got there and a few kayaks were headed to the left side. No big deal, as in most cases the boat would be long gone and up on the level area by the time we got there. An elderly couple were unloading stuff from their boat and I could see they pulled up just enough to get the boat out of the water but they were still right there in our way. OK, we wait a bit as they put their tackle and other stuff into the back of their truck....we would just be patient. I could see others headed our way but I figured we would be in soon. They moved a bit slow but finally I thought they were headed to the truck to move it up. No......the lady brought back towels and they proceeded to slowly wipe the blasted boat hull off...No wonder it looked nice......That kind of peed me a bit. No hurry, and they plainly saw us circling there. They finally moved on and the kayaks were out too so things were fine after that. But while we have only been boating for 5 years or so I have never seen someone wipe off their boat while blocking the darn ramp. Is this common in other places? Maybe they were just used to doing this at larger places....

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Seems they were just thoughtless.
I would've yelled at them, then my wife would've yelled at me!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
yeah that is poor etiquette, I wash down my boat after I take it out also but I pull well out of the way of the ramp before doing so, I have no issues with you politely explaining this to the old folks, but please do so politely, sometimes older folks can be forgetful or grouchy so don't forget that.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I would have said something smart like " Hey honey look there is this sweet couple drying every ones boat as we leave. " To which I'm sure the Admiral would have quickly smacked me in the back of the head. She doesn't always appreciate my sarcasm.

Some people are a little to caught up in their own little world to realize they are wasting other peoples time.

thumpar

Admiral
We have been going to the same lake for over 5 years. Proper protocol is to pull to the side and get the boat loaded and ready to launch. Then pull up, back into the water and unhook. Someone holds the boat while the trailer is pulled out and parked. The rude people will just pull up and put the boat in and then start loading it will taking up a spot on the ramp. They also do they same when pulling in.

Last year there was a couple that were taking up a spot that would normally be used for someone launching to line up to the ramp. They were taking forever loading. I always use the far ramp so I can see with my mirrors. I lined up to the near ramp but backed in on the far ramp they were lined up to to load up their crap. The lady on the boat later said "Well that was awkward." I just said "Yep".

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
When we were waiting to launch the boat ahead of us had launched but was playing around in the boat instead of moving it away from the trailer so the driver could move the truck and trailer. I waited and waited and finally I told the wife that I am going to start getting lined out. That's when the driver told the guy in the boat to move the boat and as he drove past me towards the parking lot he said "sorry." It seems like nobody is in a hurry until it is my turn to launch and then it kills them if I have to unsnap the trailer strap from the boat and climb aboard.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I think I've seen just about every manner of rudeness and ineptitude plus selfishness by now. Maybe the worst was a few years back when we showed up at the single load ramp and the spots had run out so someone had just parked right there in front of the ramp making it unusable. It was an ultra nice truck with professional fishing sponsorship all over it and a Ranger trailer. Must have had 30 pissed off notes under the wipers.