Just when you think you've seen it all.....

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Sunday, 70 degree air temps, 51 degree water temp. See a guy wake surfing, hey that's cool, he's hardcore, must have a wet suit on. As we get closer, not only is he not wearing a wet suit, he's not even wearing a life jacket!?? wow

MikDee

Banned
I guess he has a death wish?

That's OK, he knows how to swim,,, while unconscious too! :lol:

So we were commenting on the life jacket subject while wake surfing last weekend. If you slide off the swim platform and don't get towed with a rope I think it is actually legal to not wear a life jacket (not smart for sure but just as legal as say floating on an air mattress without a life jacket)

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer
So we were commenting on the life jacket subject while wake surfing last weekend. If you slide off the swim platform and don't get towed with a rope I think it is actually legal to not wear a life jacket (not smart for sure but just as legal as say floating on an air mattress without a life jacket)

In New Mexico you must have a PDF on when using any air filled flotation devices including air mattresses according to the New Mexico boaters Exam Handbook.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
In New Mexico you must have a PDF on when using any air filled flotation devices including air mattresses according to the New Mexico boaters Exam Handbook.

surfboards aren't air filled though... :) Seriously though, the risks are relatively minor, and as mentioned above, it is legal to do without a life jacket in most areas.

Anyone here ever surf, on an ocean? Its a fairly dangerous activity (much more so than wake surfing), and I can't recall ever seeing anyone wearing a life jacket!

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alcohol is an anti-freeze, and that may explain it..

oldjeep

Admiral
At 70 degrees you would be wearing a wetsuit? What kind of pansy state do you live it - we call that summer here ;)

nwcove

Admiral
At 70 degrees you would be wearing a wetsuit? What kind of pansy state do you live it - we call that summer here ;)

geez.....70 deg air, and 51 water..... at those temps .the beaches are packed here.....with many swimming and enjoying other water sports! :canada:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
At 51 degrees water temp, you wont last long in that. Lake Superior in northern MI. is kind of like that, and no one tends to stay in much longer than a minute or two. It's colder than you think, heck 70 degrees in the water is actually very cold and refreshing. I prefer about 80 myself.

Lil' Bone

Cadet
surfboards aren't air filled though... :) Seriously though, the risks are relatively minor, and as mentioned above, it is legal to do without a life jacket in most areas.
Anyone here ever surf, on an ocean? Its a fairly dangerous activity (much more so than wake surfing), and I can't recall ever seeing anyone wearing a life jacket!

I surfed Moss Landing & Santa Cruz in my 20's & 30's, all the kooks & barnies's finally made it to stressful, so I started fishing.
You never see a PFD's in the lineup, a helmet or two once and a while. The guys doing the tow in thing have started using them lately though.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The surfers wear wet suits that also float.
Do no real need for any life jackets.
Just gotta worry about JAWS!!
2 shark attacks in 1 day last week.
Florida is a great place to fish.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
51 degree water is pretty cool, but I have no problem with that for a good 30 minutes. 64 degree water is perfect for me

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
My brother is into wake boarding and some of the "hardcore" boarders he's had out on the boat have these "life jackets" that have absolutely no flotation in them at all. It's just made to look like a PFD so they don't get a ticket. The guy said the regular PFD's are too bulky and interfere with tricks....I've tried wake boarding a handful of times and royally suck at it, but I've noticed that when you're strapped into the board, it would be nearly impossible to keep your head above water while waiting on the boat to come back around if you weren't wearing a PFD. Especially if you're tired or just took a bad fall. Some people don't really think.

thumpar

Admiral
With some of the new PFDs there is no reason not to wear one. I have a side entry JetPilot that is like wearing a tshirt with no sleeves. It is very thin. Just invest in a quality vest.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been surfing for about 37 years . I have never worn a life vest . If I was was riding something big enough to have to be towed in I would most definitely have one on ..
When the water temps get down to about 60/65 is when my suit goes on ...

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I wear my wet suit to dive in fresh water I need 20lbs of weight to neutralize the buoyancy of the wet suit. My 2C