Uh Oh! Boat is under water!

MikDee

Banned
Many yrs ago, got a call from a neighbor my boat had sunk in it's slip!?

Sure enough I go down there to find the boat on it's side totally under water, with the motors chrome badge glistening in the afternoon sun! :eek:
It is my new to me 16' Larson All American with now my Dad's 40hp Evinrude on it. We had taken the 70hp Merc off it for repair. :rolleyes: So, I grab the right stern line, and struggle to get the transom up, level, & a bit out of the water, once done I start bailing it out with a large pail. I struggled, & bailed, to get the gunwales above water. Finally I was starting to make headway, "Man what hard work!" with Dad's help we bailed till almost sundown, and got her up, & righted! Next, was taking a break to regain our strength, and then lift the motor off.

Got back to the house, threw the motor in a barrel, and cranked it over to get all the salt water out. Sprayed some oil in the spark plug holes, It was dark by now, so the next day I put the flywheel coils in the oven on the lowest heat for awhile, then put it all back together, and got it running for awhile to dry it out good. All seemed fine now. :happy:

The Moral to this Story Is: Don't switch from a Bolt on motor 70hp Merc, to a Clamp on motor 40hp Evinrude, Without plugging the 2 motor mounting holes in the transom! :facepalm: Live, & Learn!