First trip of the year, with the new boat

oldjeep

Admiral
OK, my turn to admit to several stupid human tricks today

Took the VTX out for its first trip since we bought it. Balmy 50 degrees and 15mph wind on Minnetonka.

Backed it in to the water and started it up. Quick check of the engine compartment showed I had some water spraying from somewhere, found a small hose near the alternator with a loose clamp so I tightened that up - still had a leak. Shut down and pulled it out of the water to take a closer look - found a couple more loose hose clamps so I tightened every one I could find. I assume this was the result of the PO's attempt to drain the water out of the engine.

Back in the water and everything is fine. Took a cruise over to the main channel before deciding to turn around because of the wind and cold - the heater isn't particularly useful in 45 degree water. Boat runs and drives great and handles the chop really well.

There are no buoys in the lake yet, but I'm pretty familiar with the lake. Going back through Seton Lake (no wake) I was paying too much attention to weaving around fishing boats and ran into the shallow water. Tried to gently reverse out, but couldn't move either forward or back without the rock on prop sound and the bottom is too mucky to walk it out. Finally got it loose and out of the no wake - no surprise the prop vibrated like crazy above 4 MPH so we took a leisurely troll back to the launch. Tied it up and went to get the truck.

Next I found out that you cannot leave the bumpers tied to the side when you have a trailer with guide posts (first one of those for me). Luckily no damage, just a bumper that got launched and then found its way back to shore.

I guess it was a good day mostly ;) I'll put on the spare prop later and see what the repairs on the other one is going to run me.

WP_20140426_001.jpg

WP_20140426_005.jpg

WP_20140426_009.jpg

WP_20140426_010.jpg

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: First trip of the year, with the new boat

OUCH! For the prop.........

You look happy......the passengers look happy.....life is good!

Maclin

Admiral

Nice day! Too bad it had to end with a limp-of-shame back to the ramp :) Good that you have a spare.

Neat boat too OldJeep...

oldjeep

Admiral

Nice day! Too bad it had to end with a limp-of-shame back to the ramp :) Good that you have a spare.

Neat boat too OldJeep...

I've always got a spare in the boat and the tools to change it. We were planning on being done, or I would have just tossed it on the trailer for a couple minutes and swapped props. Need to get a mask and a snorkel with a long tube on it so that I can change it in the water if needed (once the water is warmer).

MikDee

Banned

Well, it could have been worse, or it could have been better? Either way, you had a nice boat ride, got your feet wet, or should I say keel wet! ;) Good Luck with the prop, I see you have a 4 blade on there, is that needed?

oldjeep

Admiral

Well, it could have been worse, or it could have been better? Either way, you had a nice boat ride, got your feet wet, or should I say keel wet! ;) Good Luck with the prop, I see you have a 4 blade on there, is that needed?

Haven't seen any 3 blades on 20 ft wake/ski boats for a long time, that is the factory setup.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Did a number on that prop! Should be repairable though, if you have a shop local that does nibral.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

a bad day on the lake is better than any day at work!!

she's a good lookin boat!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Glad your prop comes off easily. I've seen a number of them that don't, have to resort to my horseshoe and puller. That could be a serious pain in the water.

oldjeep

Admiral

Glad your prop comes off easily. I've seen a number of them that don't, have to resort to my horseshoe and puller. That could be a serious pain in the water.

I pulled it off on the trailer using the prop puller in my kit. Came off easy, I'm sure bashing it against a rock repeatedly helped to loosen it up ;)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

glad you had fun and the maiden voyage was only a little challenging..Stories like yours reinforce my love of the soft bottoms I bump into around here!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Sonar units can be worth their weight in gold sometimes... unless you're going too fast to make the necessary changes in course, or you don't know where you are and what you're doing... then nothing helps.

oldjeep

Admiral

Sonar units can be worth their weight in gold sometimes... unless you're going too fast to make the necessary changes in course, or you don't know where you are and what you're doing... then nothing helps.

Boat has a depth gauge, but even at idle speed in a no wake zone the difference between 4 feet of depth and 1.5 feet of depth happens too fast to do anything about it other than put it in neutral.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At least you didn't run out of gas. :facepalm: That's what I did the first trip out this year. Cool looking boat.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

OK, my turn to admit to several stupid human tricks today

Took the VTX out for its first trip since we bought it. Balmy 50 degrees and 15mph wind on Minnetonka.

Backed it in to the water and started it up. Quick check of the engine compartment showed I had some water spraying from somewhere, found a small hose near the alternator with a loose clamp so I tightened that up - still had a leak. Shut down and pulled it out of the water to take a closer look - found a couple more loose hose clamps so I tightened every one I could find. I assume this was the result of the PO's attempt to drain the water out of the engine.

Back in the water and everything is fine. Took a cruise over to the main channel before deciding to turn around because of the wind and cold - the heater isn't particularly useful in 45 degree water. Boat runs and drives great and handles the chop really well.

There are no buoys in the lake yet, but I'm pretty familiar with the lake. Going back through Seton Lake (no wake) I was paying too much attention to weaving around fishing boats and ran into the shallow water. Tried to gently reverse out, but couldn't move either forward or back without the rock on prop sound and the bottom is too mucky to walk it out. Finally got it loose and out of the no wake - no surprise the prop vibrated like crazy above 4 MPH so we took a leisurely troll back to the launch. Tied it up and went to get the truck.

Next I found out that you cannot leave the bumpers tied to the side when you have a trailer with guide posts (first one of those for me). Luckily no damage, just a bumper that got launched and then found its way back to shore.

I guess it was a good day mostly ;) I'll put on the spare prop later and see what the repairs on the other one is going to run me.

At least you got the bad stuff out of the way early?! I hit my skeg already backing in as the ramp shallows out quickly and the wife's new car doesn't let the boat sit as level as my truck...no damage though!

Bad day of boating is still better than a good day at work?!