ouch this hurts. boat launch

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: ouch this hurts. boat launch

If you say so! I was there remember. Rear wheel also just dug in to the soft gravel,

This whole fiasco started by taking the boat down to test a new lower unit. Was only going to be a quick trip to make sure it was shifting correctly and not jumping out of gear like one would see with a damaged clutchdog. Short trip found it had no reverse. Wouldn't even engage reverse.

All this time I'd left the trailer in the water. Of course one wheel sunk into the ground. With the boat reloaded I couldn't get the stuck wheel free. Hense burying the truck in the lose gravel. Then unloaded the boat again, unhitched the trailer and was then able to free the trailer while also pulling the lower pelvic muscles in my back. Was a whole lot of fun reloading the boat.

Good thing for a full roller trailer. Got the back of the trailer even with the water level and was then able to winch the boat back on. All the while sitting on my butt resting on the tongue and winching in pain.

So now you all know the wholw story!!!!

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not to be Mr. Gloom and Doom, but you do realize that back problems never go away...ever. In fact they seriously only get worst as we age. However, I use to have back problems much like yours seems to be, about two times a year. Then I had to have a hip joint replaced. And odd but I haven't had but one back issue in the last five years now... Makes one wonder...

I've had the same experience. I crushed my hip 22 years ago in a plane crash. Over time it got more and more arthritic and I developed a lurching gait. The lurch aggravated my back and I had sciatic pain that was just a preview of hell. Finally, I agreed to a hip replacement and voila! Not only was the hip pain gone but since I no longer lurched when I walked, my back calmed down. Sciatica is a thing of the past, as are the frequent flareups. I should have gotten the hip replaced long before I did but I was expecting an experience similar to when I crushed it... I couldn't have been more wrong. Frankly, the replacement was a piece of cake. Even better, it fixed both problems for the price of one: bad hip and bad back.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

A bit different here. At about 40 years old I started having trouble walking for any distance. New Doctor, new insurance. So i set up an appt. with him. After 10 minutes was told it was sciatica and sent to PT 3 times a week. About a month later while at work I started having heartburn and sweatty palms. Of course I thought it was the hotdogs for lunch.

A bit later another manager/friend came into the office and said you look terrible. Then disappeared only to return with another friend who was also the CFO. W/O hesitation he took me to the car and drove me to the ER.Found I was having an extreme angina attack. 2 days in the hospital to get stable and arrange for a catherization.

While laying stark naked on a freezing table the nurse came by to mark the entry point only to leave. Came back with the cardiologest who then began to feel around my groin to then ask if I'd ever had any trouble with my legs. I then proceeded to explain what the other doctor had told me and he began to laugh. After doing the heart cath he found I had a 90% blockage in my left leg and an 85% blockage in my right.

Result, 3 stents in my heart and a month later an Aortobifemoral bipass which keep me out of work for 3+ months.

I have sense had a bifem bipass which didn't work and 6 days later another Aortobifem in which they removed the old garft which he later told me looked like an old sponge. Have sense learned these synthetic grafts at best only last 10 years.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Since the Dr's made me retire in '08 my gait/fottsteps have shortened until I could only shuffle one foot half ahead of the other. And I mean only half the distance of the foot, like maybe 9 inches. NO space between the feet. You can't count that as steps.

They were going to do an angio of both both femers as the doppler ultra-sound didn't show much flow to both legs and hardly any pulse in both feet.

They found severe restrictions in both sides immediately after the main artery Y. Ballooned and placed two stents on each side. That night while shuttling out to the smoking shack I notice SPACE between my feet!!!! I actually was taking STEPS.

By the next morning I could almost walk normally. I was thrilled to say the least. For the last couple of years seeing some sweet thing jogging instead of thinking how nice her butt looked I could only wonder 'Wow, how easy she makes it look to jog.'

If the VA Dr's had tried to tell me the stents could make that much difference I would have sworn they were lying.

To the OP, don't push yourself too much. A little pain isn't too bad, if it hurts, then maybe you do need to slow down a bit more. You do NOT want to aggravate the injury and slow the healing process. That old adage 'No pain, no gain' Does NOT apply to back injuries.

Be very careful when mixing alcohol with drugs, whether pain meds or muscle relaxers. The combination often greatly enhances each other and is NOT always the same. What may be fine a bunch of times can one time be fatal. You don't need that!

Anti-inflammatory's can be stressful to the stomach, and kidneys, always take with food to reduce the impact on the stomach. Prolonged use, like 30 years, has greatly contributed to my kidney failure. Now on dialysis.

Simply walking and gentle range of motion movements are essential. Again, if it hurts to bad it is still too early for much exercise. You are you're own best judge of your tolerance. Exercise caution.

Take Care,

Charlie B

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Charlie B you are a lucky man!
I was only shortly past 40 when I 1st started feeling the pain. I could no longer walk uphills or stairs w\o a stop to rest. Went to the 1st Doctor and was told it was sciatica and was sent to treatment for a month. No relief from the pain.

Then one afternoon I was doing some work on a pump and my chest started hurting, palms became sweety and then the pain up the right arm. Major angina attack. Spent to days in the hospital to get stable. When they finally scheduled me for an angiogram niether the nurse nor the cardiologest clould find a pulse in either leg.

He then asked if I'd had any trouble/pain with my legs and I explained the sciatica issue from the other doc. He half hardely laughed and said "I don't think so", He then found the femmoral artiery in my left leg was 90% blocked and the right leg was 70% blocked. Right in the same position as you discribed. A weel later I had an aortobifemoral bi-pass done. They could not open the arteries. Sense then the bi-pass had become blocked again. They then tried a fem-fem bi-pass which didn't work and 6 days later I was back in the hospital having the graft removed and another put in it's place.

Now at 60 years old I do not move as fast as I once had. Stairs are still an effort but I still have both my legs!!!

As for the back pain, I will servive this also. The hard part will be no working for some time.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I turned 60 just this past December.

I've had pain in the legs from walking since '? 01 or 02. Dr's called it PAD periferal arterial desease. Keep walking, it would get better. Never did.

Inguinal arterial clot in 03 almost lost the right leg. TPI was a whole new kind of torture. Couple days in ICU dripping the clot-busting drugs in felt like the whole leg was buried in the middle of a BBQ turned up on HELL. Once the clot cleared I seamed fine until both inguinals closed up and I just kept slowing down and began shuffling.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

PAD does not get better and never goes away. They LIED to you! The largest artery in the body is the aortic, second largest arterys in the body are the femaorals.

As was explained to me by my surgeon the femoral artery is normally the same size as your thumb! Now imagine that being 90% blocked which is also carring all the blood to every major muscle group in your legs!

Might be a bit morbid but if you ever want to kill someone quickly just cut the femoral artery and they will bleed out in minutes.

During the time that I'd had 2 surguries within 6 days because the one graft didn't take after the seconsd surgury I was given 2 units of whole blood because that is how much bleeding was involved. Worst part of the whole thing is that by that time I'd blownout every IV i had placed accept for the one with the morphine drip. DA ICU nurse pulled the morphine in order to pump in the blood.

Surgeon came in and seen this. Took her out into the hallway and I'd never seen her again!

So trust me, find a very good vascular surgeon, have doppler tests done and do whatever he reccommends! I now have about 70% bloodflow to both legs. And as the good news goes. He's already warned me that there is a very good chance I will not be leaving this world with both legs!

PAD is nothing to fool around with. The other common name for this is PVD, look it up.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The VA does the doppler on both legs every 6 months. So far they tell me circulation is good, haven't mentioned any percentages. Good pulses both feet, on top and sides. Squeeze a toe white and instantly, almost, regains color.

Since I have gone diabetic the combined risk to both legs is increased. Dr's tell me to keep walking.

Since I started dialysis last May I no longer have the terrible swelling of the calves. They used to weep and get huge sores, then infections along the shins. This was one of the reasons they forced me to retire, threatening to lose both legs.

Now they are a lot better except for the pain that comes on within a block. Steps shorten until I just stop, wait for it to flush out then go on again. Mostly in the hips and upper butt, not so much the calves and thighs any more since the stents.

I'm still going, just not so far and pretty slow.

Good thing my yard is big enough I have a rider. I have a 48", wife has 50". G'son has an old JD110 with a 36" Neighbor was going to haul it off for scrap. I told him I'd put it back together for the kids. It's fine now.

3 acres with 60 some odd trees and all Gramma's junk to cut around. I spend some time outside.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Charlie maybe someday people will understand better just what PAD, PVD is. And it's not just the old that get this disease. Remember I was barley 40 when I 1st found out and was then told by one doctor that it was something else! He thought I was much too young to be suffering from this! By the time they found it I was long past any help that stents could do.
Today I have about a 14" long dacron tube that goes from my aortic artery to each one of my femoral ateries. And yes at times they do cause me pain but I live with it because I still have both legs and can walk under my own power! Have to admit though that I need a rest after every flight of stairs. Gave up golf and working part time at the golf course because I could no longer do it. And I really loved working the course and being outside all day.

Falmund

Cadet

All joking aside, I hope you heal soon. My father has horrendous chronic back issues. Thanks for the laugh and also for the valuable lesson!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Finding a 60 year old back isn't the same as a 20 year old back.

Hard part is all the flack I'm takin from the family. Can a 60 year old still run away from home?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the laugh! I really needed it today it helped!

I think I'd rather have another bipass surgurey than this back pain.

Can't seen to sit for more tan 20 minutes at a time. Took a walk to the end of the road down to the lake and I'm sure if a PD car would have come by they would have been giving me a free ride, but not to home! Looked like that drunken sailor again walking down the road. And I'm not even taking anything other than Advil.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Been off the heavy meds for a week already and I still find it hard to type, even the easy stuff!

Almost every reply I make I find I have to go back and make a lot of corrections for spelling or too many eeee's ooo's and seem to be missing the H in almost everything that has one.