ouch this hurts. boat launch

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yesterday I took the boat to the primative ramp at the end of the road to test out a lower unit for another engine. Well this ramp is all gravel and very shallow. Nice thing at the moment is we have high water which makes it easier. Got the boat off the trailer and figure it was going to be a short trip I left the trailer in the water.

Before ya all start yellin at me for this I can get away with this as there are only a handfull of people that use this ramp and at the time I was the only one home.

So quick trip, learned what I wanted to know and back to the trailer. Got loaded and didn't realize how soft the bottom was or how soft the drive was. Go to pull out and realise that the trailer wheel had sunk into the bottom pretty deep. Couldn't move it. Then also started to dig the truck in spinning the wheels.

So finally I push the boat back off the trailer, unhitch the trailer and finally get the truck pulled out of the holes. I then try pulling the trailer up out of it's holes and bang. There goes the back! Dam that hurts. Then I remember I have a come-along in the back of the truck. So I winch it out enough to reconnect to the truck on dry ground. Then procede on hands an knees to winch the boat back onto the trailer. Finally got it home after 1.5 hours.

Now the real fun. A trip to the walk-in clinic after the wife arrives home and gives the 30 minute lecture and that I'm never going boating alone again. 2.5hr visit to the clinic, 2 shots in the rear end and home I go. This morning it took 2 hours to be able to get out of bed and still can't walk of stand up straight w/o help. May be able to return to work by Monday, I hope.

All in the name of fun and enjoyment!!!!!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: ouch this hurts. boat launch

if there are no pictures, it didnt happen.....:D

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OUCH!!! Hope you get to feeling better soon.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Before ya all start yellin at me for this I can get away with this as there are only a handfull of people that use this ramp and at the time I was the only one home.

So, actually you can't get away with it :)

jkust

Rear Admiral

I don't get it...what were the shots for?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I don't get it...what were the shots for?

Fast acting muscle relaxer and an antiiflamatory. Those 2 shots sure made my back stop hurting for about 5 min. cause those shot hurt like h-ell.

Been 26 hrs. and still can hardly move.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The back is the center of your body, and it can really inflict pain if you damage it. Take er easy and learn (if you haven't already) lots of stretching exercising, and careful use moving forward. I stretch every morning before I even get out of bed, it seems to really help. Hope it gets well soon, enough so you can get back out and do some boating!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

This has been the 3rd or 4th time this has happened but so far this has been the worst. Dotor stated this was the back pelvic mucles.

In the past I've had 3 bypass surgeries to my legs, 2 of them were Aortobifemoral surgeries and one was a fem-fem bypass. In the 1st 2 there is an incision made from the sturm to the groin and an incision made about 5" long in each leg. Very painful indeed but this last muscle pull in much more painful, believe me.

I think what caused the injury was that as I pulled the trailer loose I slipped and fell to the gound. Was really suprised I was able to load the boat back onto the trailer.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Fast acting muscle relaxer and an antiiflamatory. Those 2 shots sure made my back stop hurting for about 5 min. cause those shot hurt like h-ell.

Been 26 hrs. and still can hardly move.

Wow you really messed it up. Sounds like you did a dreaded bend and twist.

nickcunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry to hear about that man. Get better and get back out on the boat and take it easy.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Wow you really messed it up. Sounds like you did a dreaded bend and twist.

I think I did the twist before the trailer knocked me down. Almost thought the tongue was going to land on my leg.

Have been using this ramp for many years and never seen the ground this soft. Maybe it's time to go around to the other side of the lake and use the concrete ramp

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Not to be Mr. Gloom and Doom, but you do realize that back problems never go away...ever. In fact they seriously only get worst as we age. However, I use to have back problems much like yours seems to be, about two times a year. Then I had to have a hip joint replaced. And odd but I haven't had but one back issue in the last five years now... Makes one wonder...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

So, actually you can't get away with it :)

Well this os a semi private ramp and everyone else on the street was at work... Very sekdon does anyone else use this ramo accept for the weekend when all the summer people show up. Otherwise I am the only onr that uses it.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

delete, fingers aren't working so well right now.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Wow the pain pills and muscle relaxers are really starting to take effect. Misspelled almost evert word?

Yes this is not the 1st time for this and so far this has been the worst. 15 min to be able to get out of bed and stand up straight.
Looks like I;ll be home until Tuesday,

The whole purpose of this trip was to test a used lower unit. Which also didn't turn out so well. It won't shift into reverse.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I feel for you bonz. I have 2 rods and enough screws in my back to open my own hardware store. Take it easy and get better. Even when you start feeling better, don't do anything to reinjure yourself.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Looks like you and Scott are more than willing to foot the bills on this accident that didn't happen.
Let's see, that's 2 office visits to 2 doctors, xrays, 3 prescriptions X2 and whatever physical therapy they finally decide on along with 5 days of missed work so far.

For this I thank you guys, you are well more than generous!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

We fail to do the exercises we learned during our visits to the physical therapist. Those pelvic thrust and hold while laying on your back are very important in regaining function and strength.

Concrete ramps can do you in just as easily. I had one foot slip on the slick mossy slime, didn't fall, but tore a hamstring in my left side. Still don't know how I managed to finish getting that boat out, much less the service I was there for and put the boat back once finished. Limped for at least a month.