Stupid forklift trick

sam60

Captain
Re: Stupid forklift trick

^^ The boat owner that was interviewed has a great attitude.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, crap happens. If it was truly a mechanical failure and not a driver doing something stupid, I couldn't find too much fault. Would just be happy no one was hurt. That said, if I was involved I would hope my boat was the one that was totaled. I wouldn't want to deal with having to get repairs done and dealing with a boat that's never going to be 100% again.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Insurance does pay, for those who elect not to carry it, just remember, "crap happens".
Glad no one was hurt!!

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I've worked on several boats on the bottom rack at local marinas. Never really felt at ease being down there under the others. And you can bet I get outa the way if one's goin in or out above me.

Doug Rikeurd's a heckuva nice guy, and he laid it all on the line to buy the joint. Hope this doesn't hurt him too bad.

I don't think I could be a lift operator. Way too stressful. 'Specially for what they pay those guys. Which ain't much. It's a testament to their skill there aren't more accidents. This time of year down here they are constantly pulling boat in'n out.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I did it for 5 years, not boats but huge weights lifted 40-50 feet above my head, and it was scary to say the least. Now I sell Information Technology solutions, on the ground LOL.

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It's good no one was hurt, as the operator of the fork truck would likely be in serious trouble regardless of it being mechanical failure OR negligence/stupidity.. I worked at a place once and drove a HUGE old Clark lift truck that no longer had working brakes.. (this thing would pick up a 53 ft tractor trailer and not flinch) I did it for a while, but eventually I refused to operate the thing anymore after a few close calls.