got my little buddy good yesterday

dozerII

Admiral
Re: got my little buddy good yesterday

Working in Northern Canada in the middle of winter in the oil fields as a truck driver, I watched the tool push on the rig send a new roughneck to get a bucket of steam, it took the poor kid three tries even with putting the lid on the bucket it would all be gone when he got back to the drilling floor.

wanttofly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My dad and grandfather sent my mom to the store to buy some clam bullets for the clam guns.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

change the air in the tires

Had my BIL tell me story. When he was younger he worked at a gas station. Had a lady come for gas. She also asked for her tires to be checked. BIL told her that they only had summer air. This was during a cold Alberta winter. He went on to explain that putting summer air in would surely cause a flat just after a short time on the highway. But just up the road there was another station that had winter air. By using winter air in winter she would have safe trip.

A few minutes later his buddy called and asked, " What the h$)) is winter air and summer air?"

All of this was way before nitrogen was common.

Last edited:

spyder9179

Seaman Apprentice

back in my construction days:

go get me a bag of ball peens

go find me a left handed hammer

Andysdad

Cadet

"Get me a tin of striped paint"

"Go to Stores and get a long weight" = 15 minutes or longer usually! Or "get a long stand" - same.

Best one was sending the apprentice for some "1/4 inch holes" - he got round the corner and realised he'd been set-up BUT continued to stores and came back 5 minutes later; in front of everyone he walked up to the foreman, handed him some 1/2 inch washers and said "here - file the metal off these". WINNER.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

In the NAVY we would send the new guy to the HT shop..[hull tech] to ask HT1 Bob Allen for a HT Punch. New guy would have a bruise on his arm for a week...:D

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer

...... in the machine shop a new guy will cut a part too small or a hole too big so we send him after the " ADD MILL" after they root around a bit we say it must out getting sharpened. Also left handed screwdriver, metal stretcher, or go look upstairs in the basement..

Awesome! :lol:

Got a few in the shop i work at to mess with 'new guys' but they still 'get' seasoned ppl sometimes as well;

"no no no, It's a reverse left handed thread"

"I need you to get me a metric adjustable."

"Hey, can you do this?" Pick up a hammer and toss/spin it in the air, catch it by the handle....they will usually do it.. when they do yell;

"there's enough ppl here that stand around doing that all day! Back to work!!"

"oh.. you're not doing it like THAT are you?" (appropriate response is in fact "Yup, FU#@ING right I am!")

"can i borrow that? (a micrometer or vernier caliper) Thanks, I just gota clamp these little parts for a second.."

if somebody sneezes, or drops something on the floor we all yell "QUIET!!" (yes, over the noise of all the machines running)

if someone is struggling, taking a long time with a bunch of parts, we walk by and say "same one?"

someone shows up late "Hey! The afternoon shift is here early!"

Of course there's the tried and tested auto parts store gag "I need a radiator cap fora 1971 Vw beetle"

animal55

Cadet

In the Army we give new guys a trash bag and tell them to get exhaust samples from the trucks when they are running and take it to the motor sergeant for inspection. Gets quite a few of em.

Ttigger

Cadet

Have you checked your turn signal fluid recently?

Firebolt420

Seaman Apprentice

In the Army, Hey Private, run down to supply and get us a box of grid squares. As well as, go down to the motorpool and pull the spark plugs in my track and clean them.

204 Escape

Ensign

We always used the one,

FOR SALE

Henway
Great shape
Rare find.

Inquire if interested.

The question would come back, "Whats a henway?"
About 3-4 pounds.

An oldie, but a goodie.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Apprenticing under my grandfather for heating and plumbing, I was once asked for the metal stretcher. So I came back with a pair of channel locks and a come-along and said the metal stretcher was broken, so we had to improvise.
Landscaping, we would send the FNG's for the rock picker
working in a restaurant, we would send the FNG's to the basement for charcoal many would look for about 20 minutes until someone would set them straight
working in the welding equipment industry, we sent the purchasing agent on a quest for a replacement weld bead stretcher. He actually called the Lincoln and Miller contacts then came back a bit miffed.
working in the finishing industry, I sent the intern to the shop floor for a bucket of grinding sparks. They scooped a bucket of sludge from the wet dust collectors and told him to put it in my office file cabinet.

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the Army we give new guys a trash bag and tell them to get exhaust samples from the trucks when they are running and take it to the motor sergeant for inspection. Gets quite a few of em.

We sent some of our boot mechanics to stand behind our Harriers with a garbage bag to get exhaust samples. When the pilot throttled up to taxi, the Marine would have to tie the bag shut and run into maintenance control. Hilarious.

Last edited:

Walt T

Lieutenant

"Stand here with this bucket and catch some of these emory sparks for analyzing" -Said as I hand a kid a bucket while I grind a piece of metal on a grinding wheel

"Hey go over to Fred over there (Points at a guy cleaning his Bonanza a few spaces over) and ask him if we can borrow some prop wash. Gonna clean this bird off" -My grandfather

joebob14

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I worked with the old man for a wile and he sent me after the pipe stretcher. I went after it but figured it out by the time I got to the parts box and brought him back a coupling and some more pipe. Silly oldtimers:rolleyes:

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

I'm still laughing about changing the air in the tires.......

saumon

Lieutenant

"No, not that crescent wrench, I need a metric one", is also a classic...

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I worked for the tree service we would send the green horns to the truck to find a limb stretcher.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It had been raining on one our construction sites so there was puddles in the parking lot . At knocking off time a group of electricians were walking to there cars .. One of my guys went flying through in his truck and splashed a puddle next to them getting there shoes soaked . He just laughed and waved as he took off down the road ... Of coarse the electricians aren't gunna let that slide so the next day they were standing around the tool box and had a 1/2" conduit bender they were holding in front of them with one hand and with a straight arm lifting it straight out up into the air commenting on how hard it was to do . Well the shoe soaker had to get in on the act so the electricians bet him he could not lift it with one hand . "No problem " grabbed the handle and lifted it straight up in front of him ..
So one of the guys said yea 1/2 " one is pretty easy now try the 3/4" bender . "OK " Little did he know they had filled the handle half full of water !
Got him soaked from the waist down ! :lol: Most of the day it looked like he pee'd himself ! :D

Reactions: K-2

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I send the apprentice for a cordless extension cord and while you're there get me a solar powered flashlight. And don't come back with the rechargeable one. I want the solar powered one!