got my little buddy good yesterday

littlerayray

Lieutenant
i was showing the young lad my boat and he decided to lift the cover and check the motor out so since he lifted the cover and he was admiring the motor i asked him to check the fluids he did and before he closed the lid i asked him if he checked the brake fluid he searched for 10 minutes :eek: looking for the brake fluid till i told him it had no brakes :laugh:

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: got my little buddy good yesterday

That sounds like the stunts We pulled in high school shop class.
Freshman kids would look for a metric cresent wrench for a long time befor they figured it out.

Steve A W

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Airman, Go to Supply and get a hundred feet of flight line." "Yes, sir."

southkogs

Staff member

"Airman, Go to Supply and get a hundred feet of flight line." "Yes, sir."
GA Boater ... My thanks. I'll be plagiarizing that gag for a few weeks with our cadets. ;)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

South - It never happened to me. :embarassed::)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Don't forget the blinker fluid...

My son is home for a break from Diesel Mechanics school, thought I would throw the Muffler Bearing at him, so I asked if he had checked them like I had asked him earlier(which I hadn't) , he hesitated and then punched the Ole man in the arm, Thought I had him for a second.....

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Another good one is a gallon of prop wash.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

several years ago there was a great series of posts on tricks like that played on "the new kid." Being in a Navy town I hear lots of them about boating, but they were the same when I was on the construction site and I assume on farms, factories and shops everywhere. Too bad they didn;t keep that thread like the boat names and craigslist ads.

I was always partial to asking for relative bearing grease.
But I loved the one about sending a guy to the supply shop for a long weight (you have to write it down for him, then clue in the shop, so when he asks, they tell him to "just sit over there" for it)

littlerayray

Lieutenant

im an ironworker and we send the new guys looking for the bar stretcher had one kid looking for two hours straight one day

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its the good ole " Id10T" fluid. Or send them to NDI barefoot with boots in hand and unserviceable tags. "Boots require inspection for cracks in steel toe"

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Here snipe, snipe, snipe... here boy. Ever get told to go find an St-1? They're great for skipping across the water, especially the small flat ones. :joyous:

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had a green apprentice once. Asked him to get some amps to put in the wire. Was splicing blue wire. When I had to splice black wire I told I'm I needed black amps for the black wire. Explained that I couldn't use blue amps in black wire or I would get a phase to phase short. Had him searching for about a half hour before he learned the truth.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Run to the shop and get me a can of smoke to put back in this wire,I just let the smoke out of it.
Sometimes they go-a-lookin'.
Grub

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

Back in the late 80's, we were deployed on an Aegis Cruiser to the North Atlantic. We had an EN-1 a HT-2,and an EN3 on watch in AMR 1. We just had a brand new fireman come on watch with us with the IVCS phone rang. I dont remember what was really said on the phone, but we hung up, looked at the Fireman, told him that the CO wanted the Steam Heated Handrails turned on on the Bridge Wings. The EN-1 heard CO and took off. He spent two hours looking for the valve to turn on those steam heated handrails.

carguy001

Seaman

I work in machining,welding shop here are a few we have played on new guys in the weld shop " hey can you go get me a can of ARC-START" they usually ask is starting fluid ok. And in the machine shop a new guy will cut a part too small or a hole too big so we send him after the " ADD MILL" after they root around a bit we say it must out getting sharpened. Also left handed screwdriver, metal stretcher, or go look upstairs in the basement. LOL.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Go get a:
Brick stretcher
sky hook

Go:
recharge the lightning rods
change the air in the tires

back to boating, get me:
50' of shoreline

A "gonkulator" is an electronic measuring device that does not exist but can be used to nmeasure or fix anything if you could find one.

I heard about an E-1 on his first deployment on a carrier, after wondering why they didn't leave as scheduled, was told the captain misplaced the key and suggested he go up and offer to help find it.