Straps are cheaper than deductables, surcharges, and citations!!!

RogersJetboat454

Commander
DOH!!!

Meant to post this sooner....
Saw this coming home from work late on Friday night.

We've got the usual spring newbies coming on board, so I figure this may be a good visual aid for them.
The weight of the boat IS NOT enough to keep it on the trailer!!! If you get your boat bouncing down the road at 60 miles an hour with out straps, this may be you!

The damage wasn't just to the boat either...
2 other cars involved. My guess is neither hit the boat, but were probably damaged when trying to avoid the boat coming off the trailer. One car that didn't look old, or cheap looked like it was well on it's way to being totaled out. Both the front and back side of that car was crinkled. Don't know if the driver of that car got crinkled or not....

Had this guy invested in a $20 dollar strap, he'd be boating right now. ;)

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Straps are cheaper than deductables, surcharges, and citations!!!

Did you actually see what happened?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Did you actually see what happened?

Nope, merely a passer by.

Saw the black car first (crinkled and in the guard rail), then 30 feet ahead was this. Trailer kicked off to the side, and bow eye still attached to the winch.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Whether that is what happened or isn't, I think the point about the strap(s) is a very valid one.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Just a guess....

They have been doing repaving in this area. The road has been ripped down a layer, but there are certainly allot of healthy bumps when the road transitions back to normal grade on the overpasses, which there was right before this accident.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A future craigslist tlc ad.

Bkarb

Seaman

I go a bit over kill on my boat she gets transom binders x2 then ratchet straps x2 along with winch on bow plus a safety chain on bow

foodfisher

Captain

I go a bit over kill on my boat she gets transom binders x2 then ratchet straps x2 along with winch on bow plus a safety chain on bow

I guess you'll be absent from the SHT trailering rollcall.

Bkarb

Seaman

Not sure what sht stands for lol but let's just start with me saying I am very anal with the care I take with my boat as i depend on it for my family's safety and safety of others I just wish other people we re the same
I mean we re talking it took me about 1/2 an hour to add the extra equipment to my trailer along with about 30 dollers and takes an added 5 minutes of time combined to launch and recover my vessel more people need to be like us I guess sorry for the rant

foodfisher

Captain

SHT= Stupid Human Tricks= The forum on which we're conversing

Bkarb

Seaman

Ha ha ha oops I guess I should have thought that threw more :D

littlerayray

Lieutenant

people laugh sometimes when i tie down for a five minute ride from the launch to home but i feel its better safe then sorry

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the five minute ride is probably where many mishaps occur since people aren't as careful.

I read that most car wrecks are within 4 miles of home, so I made sure when I moved it was at least 5 miles away.

BTW nice drag marks on the street.

there are a lot of strange twisting forces in play at the stern of a boat on a trailer; if one goes one way the other tends to go the other. This one could have lurched off the bunks, throwing balance way off. We think about straps keeping the boat from sliding off the back but the more important purpose is to secured the boat to the trailer so they move as one unit.

But in a major event those little straps aren't going to do much good. I sometimes take my stern line from the stern cleat, under the trailer and back to the other stern cleat, wrapping the frame at each side.

bassman284

Commander

people laugh sometimes when i tie down for a five minute ride from the launch to home but i feel its better safe then sorry

Back in the 70s the equipment hauler for the construction company I was working for lost a D8 Cat off a lowboy because he didn't think it needed to be tied down for a 5 minute run.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Had a delivery truck dump about $2000 worth of plywood in the parking lot where I used to work after the dummy driving thought he'd try and deliver it thru the front office instead of the service door. He unstrapped before being asked to please use the overhead in the back of the building.

Hooked it NASCAR style around the end of the building sending the load off the side of the truck.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

that's a bad day :lol:

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

the five minute ride is probably where many mishaps occur since people aren't as careful.

I read that most car wrecks are within 4 miles of home, so I made sure when I moved it was at least 5 miles away.

BTW nice drag marks on the street.

there are a lot of strange twisting forces in play at the stern of a boat on a trailer; if one goes one way the other tends to go the other. This one could have lurched off the bunks, throwing balance way off. We think about straps keeping the boat from sliding off the back but the more important purpose is to secured the boat to the trailer so they move as one unit.

But in a major event those little straps aren't going to do much good. I sometimes take my stern line from the stern cleat, under the trailer and back to the other stern cleat, wrapping the frame at each side.

My transom straps seem to be pretty tough, I bet they'd hold up as well as the bow winch, on my boat anyway.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

test it out with a head-on or direct hit into a concrete bridge column at high speed, or a spin-around.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Straps are never as strong as chain.

Too bad most trailers are not long enough to use chains and come-a-longs on the rear without marring the boat.

Straps are only good for the careful driver, un-careful drivers make the local news.

Bart68

Recruit

Sucks to be him and way to many people do this kind of thing.

Seen a guy two weeks ago with a Cobra look a like ski boat with a 90hp Merc on it with no straps and we were coming down a long winding road and by the time we got to the bottom his boat had moved over six inches to the drivers side of the truck.