Didn't leave enough anchor line out.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Ok... You are going to love this one...

Diving with the ex-GF. Set the anchor just west of a (north-south running) channel. We were diving on some channel markers to get mussels. The wind was from the SE. Anchored in 6 metres of water (the channel depth was 15)... Got in the water and dropped down to about 5 metres where the mussels are the biggest. Spent no more than 10 minutes there. Come up, no boat! The wind had swung to the SW and the anchor slid off the side of the bank and wasn't long enough to reach the bottom. So up the channel she drifted. I told the GF to stay put and I'd come back and get her. I took off after the boat, drifting straight up the main shipping channel... As I'm swimming (in full SCUBA kit) I'm getting tired, but realise that to stop and have a breather would mean all the ground I had made so far would be lost.... A thought runs though my head.... What could be worst than swimming up a shipping channel, chasing a boat that is drifting only marginally slower than I'm swimming? The answer is... a ship coming up the channel. I look over my shoulder and what do I see? A ship coming up the channel. Not good. Now I absolutely must catch that boat! I power on, closing the gap ever so slowly. Eventually I get to within about 20 metres and the 'mermaid line' I always stream is within grasp. I glance over my shoulder to see where that ship is, and immediately wish I hadn't. I can count the rivets on his foremast! I grab the mermaid line and pull myself towards the boat as hard as I can. I making it to the boarding ladder and climb straight up, complete with tank and fins! I flick the fins off and dive to the engine key, hoping she catches first go... She did! I drop the gear lever forward and gently move out of the channel (remember the anchor line is still in the water). Once I'm out of the channel and the ship has streamed passed, I drop all my dive gear off, climb up the front and pull the anchor, then head back looking for the GF... She's just where I left her, patiently waiting for me, completely unaware of the drama that had occurred. When I told her, she just asked if anything ever happens like that in the future, can she have my car!!!

Chris.......

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Didn't leave enough anchor line out.

What kind of car?

HellRaZoR004

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, you're lucky....

I was waiting for you to say that you threw the mask back on and dove as quick as you could to get away from the ship.

achris

Wow, you're lucky....

I was waiting for you to say that you threw the mask back on and dove as quick as you could to get away from the ship.

It almost came to that.. :eek:

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

You're lucky that ship didn't turn you into "CHUM"! Glad to hear you're OK.

achris

If you insist. This was on a tour around New Zealand in 2001.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 33 On ferry to Picton.jpg
    33 On ferry to Picton.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 57 On the boat in Milford Sound.jpg
    57 On the boat in Milford Sound.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

So what kind of anchor was it, and what have you replaced it with?

p.s.
Glad you both survived with nothing more than a bit of a scare and exhaustion.

achris

So what kind of anchor was it, and what have you replaced it with?

A nice solid plough... Nothing wrong with the anchor, just the idiot who set it. :D :D :D :facepalm: (still using it...)

Thanks...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Nothing worse than that helpless feeling of knowing your boat isn't within reach! Helped out some friends on the river a while back, they were on a cabin cruiser and would jump off the front, let the current take them to the back, and then grab hold of the swim platform and do it again. They had NOT left out a 'mermaid' line as you put it, and you can imagine what happened. Both jumped off, and both missed the platform. The current is strong enough there is zero chance of swimming against it, so they swam to the nearest [downstream] sandbar. They waited around for 15 minutes or so before I was in the area and gave them a ride back.

achris

That's just stupid on so many levels I lost count! You are a very considerate and kind person for help them out (and I applaud you)...

I am a recreational diver at home. There was an incident a few years ago where a couple of divers surfaced after their dive and found the boat had drifted. They managed to get the attention of a local professional cray-fishing boat (lobster). When they swam over to the fishing boat and asked for help they were told by the crew of this boat that they could not help them, and "they could drown for all they cared". 2 very exhausted divers did manage to get back to their boat and later reported the fishing boast to the marine authorities. The most the authorities could charge the fishermen with was 'failing to render assistance', a $100 fine!!! :facepalm:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

............... The most the authorities could charge the fishermen with was 'failing to render assistance', a $100 fine!!! :facepalm:

Should be more like $10,000, forfeiture of the boat and suspension of any professional license related to boating/fishing they may have. This is very near an attempted murder or at least attempted manslaughter. They could very easily have drown or become shark poop if left adrift.

That law needs some real TEETH!!!!

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

NEVER NEVER leave the boat unattended. I know too many stories that did not turn as well. There was a couple here in FL years ago that got picked up in Tampa Bay completely naked. Had the 30 ft in gear and were messy around and fell off. Real problem was it was a workday week and they were married. Just not to each other.
Unless we are really shallow we don't anchor anyway. We are out to shoot fish not chase the boat.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

And there is the story about the x football player turned lawyer out with his Dad diving. They were on the bottom and the boat came down to meet them,

barrynfla

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And there is the story about the x football player turned lawyer out with his Dad diving. They were on the bottom and the boat came down to meet them,

LOL! Would the lawyer happen to be Brad Culpepper?