Funny things you find at the lake in pictures!

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Re: Funny things you find at the lake in pictures!

On my last trip I found some coyote scat lol.Just as I was breaking it apart to see the menu my friend fell into lake ha ha bonito!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

found a red sit-on kayak blown up against my bulkhead this morning; I left it in the yard in case the owner comes looking for it by boat. Will try to get the word out to the up-wind neighborhoods.

Also 35' sailboat dragged or broke anchor and is pinned up under a big bridge; didn't have time this morning to salvage. Not the first time; I heard the boat is owned by some college kids who don't know how, or have the $, to moor it correctly.

After storms our local forums and craigslist usually has several posts regarding vessels adrift.

eta: neighbor claimed the kayak. Sailboat still under the bridge.

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Found a extremely nice kayak about 8 miles out in Lake Huron when we were salmon fishing. The owner eventually got it back, it had been floating for 3-4 days, was from about 28 miles down the coast, value was close to $2K.

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last winter I drove down by a launch ramp to see if anyone was ice fishing.
Looked off to the side of ramp area and found a lock box and it's contents scatered all over the place.
Called local law enforcement, Dispatcher asked Me to stay and show officer where it was.
One hour and three phone calls later He shows up.
House on other side of town had been burglarzed two days before.
Found a bunch of family pictures, At least they got those back.

Steve A W

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Found a extremely nice kayak about 8 miles out in Lake Huron when we were salmon fishing. The owner eventually got it back, it had been floating for 3-4 days, was from about 28 miles down the coast, value was close to $2K.

boaters should have a laminated cards fixed to their kayaks and small boats for this reason. I have learned the hard way*, at least here, you can't call registration numbers in to USCG or marine police and get any information whatsoever.

I'm putting my cell # on bumpers, seat cushions, etc. too--all the things I find floating and would call in if I could.

*vandals launched my boat, plug out, at the boat club where I keep in on the trailer; it wasn't until someone who knew me and my boat happened by that I got a call (regular dockmaster was off).

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer

While bay channel fishing in Virginia one year, I caught a pack of fishing leaders, and my mom hooked a 12 pack :). We're betting it fell off the back of a boat not to long ago, as the cardboard was still dry enough to hook into and drag the rest of the contents in with it.

briangcc

Commander
Fishing in the St Lawrence River in 20ft of water I hooked onto a whopper. I ended up handing my cousin my pole as I had problems with my knee at the time and it was easier for him to fight it. He reeled in 20ft of rope and an anchor in pristine condition. I had hooked onto the very end of the rope with my lure. Many laughs were had on that one!

I'm figuring some small boat was anchored in the area and a lake freighter or ocean freighter came through with a heck of a wake and the boat operator had to cut the line to avoid being swamped. Either that or he/she simply tossed it overboard with not enough line/didn't attach it to the boat and lost it. Either way I ended up with a backup anchor and a small length of rope!

I might have a picture somewhere - gotta see if I can track it down..

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
Last year, they were dredging the lake we boat on. I think this is how the guys on the dredger used the restroom.

PottyBoat.jpg

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Funny thing, we were out in Bodega yesterday and my son (2 1/2) takes a half of a honey roasted peanut (Planters) and throws over the side of the boat. For some reason we watched it sink. Bam, the smelt crushed it and again and again and again. They kept hitting them over and over. At one point there were 4 smelt swimming about 4 feet down about 3 feet off the side of the boat waiting for peanuts, lol.

mattb100

Cadet
No pictures, One year my family and the neighbors were swimming at the beach boating area and I stepped on a pair of Oakley gas can sunglasses. The next year boating on a lake 100 miles away, same people, again swimming at the boat swim area and I stepped on another pair of Oakley gas can sunglasses. My neighbor and I have new "to us" sunglasses. This year as we were leaving the ramp a "rig' pulls up, 28-30 ' travel trailer, rolling stock removed, sitting on a deck of pontoons at least 10' longer. Wish I took a pic of that one.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Some (a lot) of people just don't care. Recently I found an igloo beverage cooler (hole in it, no lid) in the river. I snagged it, kept it with us while we went fishing, and ended up filling it up with trash that was also floating in the river. It is a rare occasion that I don't bring home more than I went with.

me too.

Sheppie

Recruit
Aye, the worst thing you can find around (no matter if it's the coast, river, lake or forest) is a ton of garbage. I hate it. I hate and don't understand people who do it. They come on over to dump their garbage. I would love to catch someone red-handed but I guess they wouldn't want that. Nature is our common good. It's a place where you can relax, calm down, admire the views and yet you have to deal with disrespectful punks and dumb-asses. Hate it. Hate it. hate it. And I too bring home more than I left with. I clean as much as I can.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After me and a buddy went fishing I did a little Photoshop of the two of us and sent him this photo. Naturally that's me in the pedestal seat :lol:

ToonD.JPG

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not sure how one would do this but we can all rest knowing that some beaurocrat is looking out for us.;) Underwater Smoking.jpg