Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Over the years I?ve lost to the sea, everything from cell phones to coffee pots.

Usually it's just a hat, it sucks when you lose a 10 HP kicker motor...I'm just saying :facepalm:

On the find side I come along lots of balls and a fender or two throughout the season. I did find 20 bucks once in a floating pack of cigarettes along with two used ticket stubs to a Jimmy Buffett concert, the smokes were wet

Let's hear your story; it can't get any worse than a 10 HP Kicker...Can it?

scipper77

Commander
Re: Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

1 hat, and 1 anchor. The anchor was cut free when I checked my map and realized it was caught on an underwater power line. It pays to have proper maps sometimes and not just a gps.

Funny thing is I don't have good charts for my local waters (Lake Ontario) but this was in the 1000 islands where hazards are everywhere so I made sure I had a map.

we also lost a kicker, but it was on the way to the shore. Dad forgot to tighten it down when getting loaded the day before. That must have scared the crap out of whoever was behind us.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Of course I've lost anchors due to poor knot tying, my worst was last summer on Lake Huron in some swells...my portable GPS went in the drink:(

eavega

Lieutenant

I ALMOST lost my anchor this last weelend. Got to the anchor spot, and instead of just chucking the thing out, I lowered it slowly. Good thing I did, as I had not attached the chain to the anchor line.

Rgds

sasto

Captain

cell phones, sunglasses, crab pods, tools, couple anchors, bait buckets, fishing rods, downrigger weights, wallet.........and a damn good friend! :(

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can replace stuff, but friends are tuff to replace especially damn good ones. Sorry.

cell phones, sunglasses, crab pods, tools, couple anchors, bait buckets, fishing rods, downrigger weights, wallet.........and a damn good friend! :(

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sunglasse, towels etc. Sat on my swim platform last year installing dingy davits on the platform. Told myself a couple times that I should tie a line on the davits just in case. But no.... Spent the second half of the summer trying to find that davit in the weeds and silt. Amazing how well it hid itself down there.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Lost a anchor last summer. Summer before 1st mate capsized the boat after crashing into a dock, didn't lose a thing, not even the fish we caught! :facepalm:

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Snagged a wallet once. tucked away in the picture compartment, between some washed out pictures were 2 50"s & 2 twenties folded up real small. No plastic, no ID. Ink had begun to turn black. I figure someone got robbbed & thief threw it in the river to get rid of evidence.

Tom B.
(Longine)

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

I fumbled a four hundred dollar, hand held, GPS over the side once into a hundred feet of water about thirty-five miles up stream from the dam at Lake Novillo in Mexico. That's OK. It's a hydroelectric and irrigation lake and if they ever draw the water level down far enough, I know just where I dropped it.

My wife accidentally let go of a fairly high dollar baitcasting reel and rod at the end of a cast at Elephant Butte Lake in New Mexico. Luckily the button was pushed down, the water was only eight or ten feet deep, the crankbait floated to the top and we were able to haul the line in hand over hand until we retrieved rod and reel.

Years ago I was camping and fishing alone in Elephant Butte Lake and I had a new partial plate that had made my gums sore. So, I took my partial out, wrapped it in a paper towel, put it in my shirt pocket and buttoned the pocket for security. Later on it got hot so I took the shirt off and laid it on one of the boat seats. Was fishing one small area at low speeds but in the late afternoon when I headed for camp I ran at near WOT the whole five or six miles back to camp.

When I got to camp the shirt was missing (as in totally gone). "Aw shucks" said I (or some such thing). "My shirt and my teeth seem to have vanished. What dreadful luck. Perhaps I should go look for them".

I piled back into the boat and spent the next couple of hours searching and hoping that somehow the shirt had retained enough air to stay afloat. As it turned out the dentist didn't mind at all taking impressions for a new partial plate and my wife assured me that I didn't look or talk too funny with no front teeth.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Typical stuff. Sunglasses, pocket knives.

I tie a keychain floaty to my waterproof camera/video cam. Hats and koozies float, so i go back and get them.

Almost lost a passenger from my jet boat last summer. Luckily, she floated also, so i went back and picked her up. She dumped her beer when she got tossed out, though...

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Lost my favorite hat... Twice.

Turned around and got it back... Twice.:D:D

fishrdan

Admiral

I think most have lost their "favorite" hat, it just depends on how much you like that hat and how long you will search for it... I had mine blow off in 2=3'ers and I told my son "DON'T take your eyes off of it".. Well he did, and we spend the next 1/2 hour circling the area. Just as we were giving up it floated by :D

Myself;
- Brand spanking new anchor and line (forgot to tie it on the cleat, newbie...)
- Watch (fighting a fish and ment to toss it on the dash, missed, but found the lake)
- sunglasses
- flashlight
not too shabby

Kids;
- couple of fishing rods
- the only bait we had in the boat
- lock nut for the trolling motor
- couple bags of chips (ducks cleaned those up)
- lures, hooks, sinkers
- son (told him not to walk around the windshield, successfully recovered, slightly cold and wet)
- rod holder
- basically anything that isn't bolted down...

I've only found a couple things, couple of ratty lures with the hooks rusted off, old rusty navy anchor that's in our flower box now, a $30 fishing lure I lost 6 months earlier....

scooper77515

Lost my favorite hat... Twice.

Turned around and got it back... Twice.

I guess I could say the same. That girl was my favorite passenger ever. She was cool about being thrown out, and only complained about dumping her beer.

If that was my wife being thrown out...she would have swam to shore and told me to sell the boat. So luckily, just some college chick friend of the wife's cousin, who just happened to be pretty comfortable on the water.

Summers Wolf

Cadet

ok i live on lake champlain, we get a lot of stupid people here and everyone kept getting snagged in this one spot so i decided to dive down and retrieve all there luers. (bout time i got new gear) but instead i got something a bit better i found a snow mobile. i tied a rope to it and winched it so it was just under the surface. then i headed home. i returned the snowmobile since i have no use for it. i got a 2000$ reward. beat that

scooper77515

A SNOWMOBILE!!!???!!! That is the coolest thing I think i have ever heard anyone find!

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The last time I lost an anchor was about 5 years ago. I was fishing for striper at the honey hole and when it came time to heave anchor, the darn thing wouldn't come up. After about 20 minutes of trying to break it free, I just tied a spare fender to it and threw it overboard and marked a way point on the GPS. Went looking for it one trip and it was gone:confused:, it was fun while it lasted...bout 4 months.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Already posted the major items I've lost. Here's some of what I've found:

An old rusty "mushroom" type anchor with all the original vinyl coating worn or corroded off. Tried to sell it to my next door neighbor as an artifact by telling him it was proof that the Vikings were the first Europeans to arrive here in New Mexico. He said he didn't think the Vikings would have left a length of nylon cord attached to it.

Lots of crankbaits. Some in usable condition some in not such good shape. Many just needed new hooks to be put back in action.

A spare tire and wheel that fit my boat trailer floating in Elephant Butte Lake in New Mexico.

A human skeleton once at Lake Novillo, Sonora, Mexico. Almost certainly a Mexican Indian burial uncovered by rising and falling water levels.

A trot line rolled up nicely and left on a secluded and isolated bank at Elephant Butte Lake.

A good sized bull calf stuck in the mud up to it's belly on a Sunday in February or March at Elephant Butte. We figured by the time we found the proper authorities to notify and they figured out who owned it and contacted him and the owner got some cowboys there to rescue it (no roads in the area) it would be dead from cold and exhaustion. So, four of us spent the next hour and a half or so, pushing, pulling and lifting the critter with improvised straps and ropes to get it unstuck. When we did, it lay down on the ground for a few minutes then got up and went to grazing as if nothing had happened. Didn't even act properly grateful.

BTW, at one point we had a rope loop around that critter's neck with two of us pulling while the other two lifted. I swear, I don't understand how it could stand that much pull on it's neck without sustaining serious injury.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Well I lost my step son as he was preparing to go after our escaped Yellow Lab....
So were heading for the ramp in a no wake zone and went by a flock of canadian geese, Brandy our Lab caught wind and then jumped off the Bow in hot pursuit, the captain(me) seeing this with cat like reflexes hit full reverse to avoid running over our escaped future convict(canadian geese are protected in state parks in Colorado) unfortunately the step son had prepared himself to pursue our escapee but was unprepared for the captains quick reflexes nor the immediate change in direction, fortunately for step son his hind quarters caught the bow cleat which while slowing him down somewhat completely inverted his body position so that his face would break his fall into the water. The Admiral who was preparing for the proper docking procedures at the time found the captains rear quarters with her face during the emergency maneuvers and while the situation was embarrassing for the Admiral was very entertaining for the Captain!

In the end the Geese taught Brandy that while she may be able to swim faster then Geese can Geese can fly and Brandy cannot which was further proven by the flop she made jumping off the bow. We were an instant hit at the ramp seeing how all of this happened within 50' of the Ramp. I think the step son lost his cigarettes and his cell phone too but it was SOOOOOOOOO worth it!!