Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

On the found side....a few years ago we had a bad drought and Lake Wylie was WAY down, so my granddaughter and I took an outting. We walked the exposed areas that never are and found over a 100 fishing lures that others had lost. Some were very usuable others in pretty bad shape but it was a great day together. Just amazing how many fishing lures get hung up and lost.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

My wife asked me, "Why didn't you tell them about..." With a sly smile on her face.;)

We were anchored in 21' in the middle of the "big water" of Lake Seminole last year. My two sons and I were swimming, and my wife and Father-in-Law were on the boat. 'Bout an hour later, we're WOT and my wife points out the anchor line trailing on the surface behind us.:facepalm: Of course, I was really upset with myself for the lack of thought. The loss of the anchor was nothing when paled by the thought of the possible injuries, and damage which could have been caused by my irresponsibility that day.

Lost a good anchor, and a level or two of pride that day.:redface:

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lost an anchor that was stuck and had to cut the line.

Found several boats fenders, ski rope, inline planer board, various lures, hat.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had a friend throw a set of keys (no float) from the dock to the boat once, we all know how that ended:eek::mad:

This is a phrase that we should all learn as part of our training, everyone together now:

"NO, I DON'T WANT YOU TO THROW IT, I'LL COME AND GET IT";)

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok i live on lake champlain, we get a lot of stupid people here and everyone kept getting snagged in this one spot so i decided to dive down and retrieve all there luers. (bout time i got new gear) but instead i got something a bit better i found a snow mobile. i tied a rope to it and winched it so it was just under the surface. then i headed home. i returned the snowmobile since i have no use for it. i got a 2000$ reward. beat that

thats a crazy story! lol

VegasNordie

Seaman

i lost a seat to my boat one day! i was making a speed run on lake mojave and i looked back to see an orange seat cushion about 20 feet in the air...immediately i turned around, but i believe it sunk, because i never could find it...

found: this list can go on....being lake mead, i spend the majority of my time on...anything from flat bottom boats to a huge quartz crystal!

the worst thing i lost is a 70 dollar pair of sunglasses i purchased that same day...man i was pissed!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

lost a citation flounder at the side of the boat. Well, now I say it was a citation; who can argue? I have also lost my temper, my composure, my worries, my bad mood, and my bearings; and found self-confidence, relaxation, the joys of raising children, spectacular sunsets and how much fun I can have with my wife fishing.

Over 52 years I've lost a lot of stuff. Now I have a gps with a "man overboard" button that instantly marks your spot; good when something blows over especially at night so you can circle back to it.

My wife has dropped 2 shove poles over, each time in the few deep holes in the marsh. She is no longer authorized to operate them, and the newest one, I shoved pieces of styrofoam in the handle.

Lots of people around here snag whole fishing poles while striper fishing. I've just picked up lures so far.

Got a big wooden cable spool which is now a coffee table on the porch at the beach house (it isn't a real beach house without one) and a 6' dinghy I gave to my BIL as a birthday present (just dragged it up into his yard).

Frequently picking up hats, coozies, and I always pick up trash.

Not counting stuff found on the beach.

And although not on a boat, I lost my wedding ring swimming in cold water; found it 20 minutes later about 10' down and between 2 rocks. 29 years later it's still on!

But so far the snowmobile is the winner.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Had a friend throw a set of keys (no float) from the dock to the boat once, we all know how that ended:eek::mad:

This is a phrase that we should all learn as part of our training, everyone together now:

"NO, I DON'T WANT YOU TO THROW IT, I'LL COME AND GET IT";)

I did that once. Good thing the spare keys were under the front seat of the locked car!

Also lost a 20hp Evinrude off the back of a 14' tinny. That one's a long story but thankfully I wasnt the one who put it on so I only get some of the blame. One moment everything was fine and the next the boat seemed to be nearly verticle (confirmed by the rest of my group on shore who thought it was pretty funny) and the motor hung for a moment by the gas line. It hung for what seemed like an eternity and I was in the process of considering grabbing the motor when it finally disappeared for good.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love when you guys lose stuff< I usually find it snorkling. Lots of anchors for sale here. Lures with rusty hooks to change ,a hood from a merc 9.9 fishing rods with the spinners still attached. yuck yuck yuck Don't worry though I've paid my dues also.

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My (then) sister in law found a dead body fishing off a pier in NC. She thouht she had a big fish but when she pulled it just to the surface it was a woman's body. Found out the lady suicided about 5 miles up the beach.. She had parked her car and went for a 'swim' fully clothed.. Found ann ote in the car.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

just some college chick friend of the wife's cousin, who just happened to be pretty comfortable on the water.

:eek: GOOD GOD MAN!

My wife wont even allow college chicks on the boat. Especially ones that are drinking beer!!!

BARKLEY

Banned

Found a $300 wakeboard. Found it floating in the lake at night. Asked around the campground and nobody claimed it!!

dwco5051

Commander

My wife has dropped 2 shove poles over, each time in the few deep holes in the marsh. She is no longer authorized to operate them, and the newest one, I shoved pieces of styrofoam in the handle.

She is no longer authorized to operate the push poles so now she stands in the front and casts while you move the boat around. What is wrong with this picture?

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was 17 or 18 and not so smart. Mu buddies dad had an old Ted Williams (Sears) 7.5 hp outboard that had been sitting around for years. We decided it was time to get the outboard running and use it on an old beat to crap aluminum canoe. An hour or two later and motor is running. Next problem is how to mount it on the canoe. A few pieces of 2x4, wood screws and couple of big C clamps and we are ready to go. Down to the local river and we are off. Everything is going good at slower speeds. I am in the front and my buddy is in the back driving. He says to hold on he is going to open it up. He opens the thing wide open fast. The front of the canoe pops a wheelie. At the same time there is the sound of cracking and splintering wood and then the sound of a Ted Williams motor sinking into the river never to be heard or seem again. To make matters worse being so young & brilliant we had no paddles. We waited for a boat to come along and tow us back and we ran out of beer while waiting.

G

Lost a pair of glasses once looking over the side of the dock while launching the boat BUT luckly there was fellow at the bait shop who did scuba diving as a hobby. He suited up and 1 1/2hrs later I could see again :D Good thing he found them as I was the only one who could drive the car and boat the 55 miles back home :rolleyes:

CR CRUISER

Seaman

I was working on a friend's outboard at the dock when I dropped my brand new Leatherman into the water off of the back of the boat. Awwww ****! $100 gone in 40' of water. I looked over the back and there it was laying on the cavitation plate of the outboard. With some very gentle manouvering, I managed to get it back. Lost and Found all in one.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I was working on a friend's outboard at the dock when I dropped my brand new Leatherman into the water off of the back of the boat. Awwww ****! $100 gone in 40' of water. I looked over the back and there it was laying on the cavitation plate of the outboard. With some very gentle manouvering, I managed to get it back. Lost and Found all in one.

That's amazing....what luck you have....hope you play the lottery often.

Bry1324

Seaman Apprentice

lost a whole ice chest full of drinks and snacks, had it sitting on the side to drain some water out and my goofball brother didnt think to get it down before i took off we didnt even realize it was gone until i asked for a drink...ha also found plenty of floats, hats, and even a girls bathing suit top lol

LNM

Cadet

Just a few days ago while bank fishing for trout I caught a pair of prescription glasses, the looked like they had been there a while.

A few years back at a high mountain lake, the young daughter, despite everyone yelling "don't throw it"! tossed her mothers wallet to her. It went straight to the bottom in about 20 feet of very clear water. We could see it sitting there. It took hours of trying to snag it but we finally got it back!

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

I have lost a couple anchors... But been able to get them back, I love to free dive deepish. so its almost a challenge.

Wost thing. I grabbed the keys by the floaty.. and the chain snapped.. bang the Key alone went in the water. DOH