Tie Down Straps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Learning

Seaman Apprentice
While I've only forgot the plug once (so far), had my first time of somehow forgetting the tie down straps. Had the trailer in the water yesterday morning and had started engine, but then it died. Couldn't immediately restart, so being thoughtfull had my driver pull me back out since there were a couple others waiting. As its coming back up the ramp, a lady with the boat waiting to launch, said - "Tie downs still on!"<br />I replied, "THANKS!, glad I couldn't get it started." I could just see myself trying like heck to get it off the trailer! Fortunately there were only the two boats, instead of a whole crowd, waiting to witness my error.

BassMan31

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Tie Down Straps

Been ther before. I was by myself i had backed the boat down the ramp (never used this ramp before ) i just had to keep backing because i thought the ramp was to shallow. Finally looking through the mirror i see the boat is floating the trailor as a hard wind is blowing boat and trailor sideways. It was like a light bulb went off in my head at that very momentso i pulled out and fixed my mistake luckily for me no one was around to witness hehehehe.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bassman,]<br /><br />It's out in the open now - hehehehehe

buddyx1

Cadet

I stopped a guy that was in front of me from doing the same thing just b4 he put his boat in the water. He was embarrassed but thankful.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Been there and done that myself. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't back off the trailer. Finally my friend that was helping me launch casually mentioned. You don't by any chance have the back tied down do you. Poor stupid me. I said yes pull it out and I'll untie the ropes. What a huge difference. It backed off so smoothly.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Did this two or three weeks ago when my wife and I were at Elephant Butte lake. Took care of everything else. Backed the boat and trailer down the ramp and was wondering why the stern of my 14' tinnie wasn't floating when my wife noticed that the transom straps were still attached. No one else at the ramp so all we had to do was pull forward a few feet, take the straps off, back 'er up again and launch.

Had anyone been there to witness my mistake, I would probably have said (in a loud voice so all could hear) something like: OK dear, now that we've got the straps wet so they can season properly, lets take 'em off and launch the boat.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I've been having a similar but slightly different problem lately. I'll hook up the trailer, plug the lights in, then forget to hook the safety chains. Done this twice in the past two weeks?

First time I got to the corner of the street and my neighbor hollered hey dumba** you're dragging your safety chains! Second time I was on my way to the ramp & realized I'd forgotten my coolie cup. A crucial piece of gear imo ... So back to the house I went to retrieve my coolie. When I came back out I noticed the freakin chains dragging.

Wtf am I losing it? Early onset dementia of what. Never had this problem before?

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

I just realized that this thread was dormant from July 2004 to September 2011. So, I'm wondering why we are digging up and answering seven year old posts? Especially since the OP hasn't posted anything under that handle since April, 2005.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

so many rules here lately, I use to post a lot, as this thread illustrates moderation has made this a bit tired.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I just realized that this thread was dormant from July 2004 to September 2011. So, I'm wondering why we are digging up and answering seven year old posts? Especially since the OP hasn't posted anything under that handle since April, 2005.

It's not that hard to figure out really, it comes from the Similar Threads section at the bottom of the page. Folks see a similar thread and don't pay attention to the date and post to it.

so many rules here lately, I use to post a lot, as this thread illustrates moderation has made this a bit tired.

In some of the slower forums here it is tolerated or permissable, in other busier forums it's not.

Missing the tie-down straps comes from being in too big of a hurry... just like the safetty chains and plug.

bassman284

Commander

It's not that hard to figure out really, it comes from the Similar Threads section at the bottom of the page. Folks see a similar thread and don't pay attention to the date and post to it.

In some of the slower forums here it is tolerated or permissable, in other busier forums it's not.

Missing the tie-down straps comes from being in too big of a hurry... just like the safetty chains and plug.

Just thinking, posting in an old thread also comes from being in too big of a hurry. Been there, done that.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Just thinking, posting in an old thread also comes from being in too big of a hurry. Been there, done that.

Yes, and a few days after I posted that remark about dormant threads I almost did the same thing. Realized at the last minute that I was about to post to a long dead thread. I guess I know now how and why it happens. Oh, well my mama never claimed I was the smartest pup in the litter. Just the noisiest. *GBG*

Richardsix

Seaman Apprentice

Not done this myself .....Yet!, but I love topics like this, when you do something right there is never anyone around, do something wrong and the world and a video camera is watching!

Status
Not open for further replies.