Boat will not plane

JJags3

Seaman
This sounds so stupid it might just be true.

A family bought their first boat. About a 20 footer with a 200 hanging on the back. They had never been in a boat much less operated one. They picked it up from the dealer and headed to the lake for their first outing. After getting the boat in the and feeling really good about their accomplishment, the Dad started giving it more throttle to speed things up. It seemed that the boat continued to flounder along and no matter how much throttle he gave it, it would not get up on plane.

Getting desperate, the family pulled into the marina a mile or so down from the boat ramp. After explaining the problem to the technician, everything was checked over and seemed to be operating as it should.

As a last ditch effort to find the problem, the tech went into the water to check out the boat's hull. He immediately exploded out of the water in disbelief and said, "No wonder, you still have the "*&%^$#" trailer attached to the boat."

They had apparently launched it by unhooking the trailer and rolling the whole rig into the water. True story? Maybe, maybe not.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat will not plane

Sounds a little far fetched to me.....but anything is possible !!!!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

However, a good Johnnyrude should have planed it out !!!!! LOL

MikDee

Banned

That's an old fable been around the net many times, I think scopes denied it.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I've heard something similar before, I wouldn't put it past some people :D. I could see it happening.

Need to send that into mythbusters and see if it is possible. For real!.

fishrdan

Admiral

I wouldn't doubt this has happened at least once.

Sounds a little far fetched to me.....but anything is possible !!!!!

Yes anything is possible...

I saw a group loading a cord (well,,, maybe only a 1/2 cord :D) of wood into a 14' aluminum boat. Reminded me of barges on the Mississippi as the old 7 horse Johnson strained to push the craft up river with only 6" of freeboard :eek:

lou_ky_it

Cadet

I've heard something similar before, I wouldn't put it past some people :D. I could see it happening.

Need to send that into mythbusters and see if it is possible. For real!.

Mythbusters did this one a couple of years ago, was funny as hell

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Mythbusters did this one a couple of years ago, was funny as hell

I can't remember it :(, and I use to watch it all of time. Now I wished they would show a repeat of it :D.

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

That houseboat is insane. But it would make a hell of a fishing boat for those long days out on the lake. Make a nice big live well....

And then just run right out of the water and tow it to the campspace to sleep for the night. :)