• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat will not plane

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat will not plane

This sounds so stupid it might just be true.

A family bought their first boat. About a 20 footer with a 200 hanging on the back. They had never been in a boat much less operated one. They picked it up from the dealer and headed to the lake for their first outing. After getting the boat in the and feeling really good about their accomplishment, the Dad started giving it more throttle to speed things up. It seemed that the boat continued to flounder along and no matter how much throttle he gave it, it would not get up on plane.

Getting desperate, the family pulled into the marina a mile or so down from the boat ramp. After explaining the problem to the technician, everything was checked over and seemed to be operating as it should.

As a last ditch effort to find the problem, the tech went into the water to check out the boat's hull. He immediately exploded out of the water in disbelief and said, "No wonder, you still have the "*&%^$#" trailer attached to the boat."

They had apparently launched it by unhooking the trailer and rolling the whole rig into the water. True story? Maybe, maybe not.

Re: Boat will not plane

Sounds a little far fetched to me.....but anything is possible !!!!!
    sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

However, a good Johnnyrude should have planed it out !!!!! LOL
      sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

That's an old fable been around the net many times, I think scopes denied it.

Comment

I've heard something similar before, I wouldn't put it past some people . I could see it happening.

Need to send that into mythbusters and see if it is possible. For real!.
          1977 Challenger 15' Bass Boat with a 1978 85HP Evinrude (finished project but keep finding stuff to add to it)
          Projects include: To many boats, to many outboards, and 1 I/O that I hope to be rid of soon.

Comment

I wouldn't doubt this has happened at least once.

Originally posted by kenmyfam View Post
            Sounds a little far fetched to me.....but anything is possible !!!!!
            Yes anything is possible...

I saw a group loading a cord (well,,, maybe only a 1/2 cord ) of wood into a 14' aluminum boat. Reminded me of barges on the Mississippi as the old 7 horse Johnson strained to push the craft up river with only 6" of freeboard
            2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
            2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

Originally posted by wildmaninal View Post
              I've heard something similar before, I wouldn't put it past some people . I could see it happening.

Need to send that into mythbusters and see if it is possible. For real!.
              Mythbusters did this one a couple of years ago, was funny as hell

Comment

Originally posted by lou_ky_it View Post
                Ya, they got something like 10mph out of it, definitely not on plane. But it did work!
                '12 Yamaha VX Cruiser Jet-ski
                Sold- '07 Tahoe Q4, "Lil Yella"

Comment

Originally posted by lou_ky_it View Post
                  I can't remember it , and I use to watch it all of time. Now I wished they would show a repeat of it .
                  1977 Challenger 15' Bass Boat with a 1978 85HP Evinrude (finished project but keep finding stuff to add to it)
                  Projects include: To many boats, to many outboards, and 1 I/O that I hope to be rid of soon.

Comment

It does happen.

Here is a short vid I found. It's a riot

Here

Comment

I was expecting you to say that the plug was not in . Anywho, maybe they thought it was this thing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINTA...spagenameZWDVW

Comment

That houseboat is insane. But it would make a hell of a fishing boat for those long days out on the lake. Make a nice big live well....

And then just run right out of the water and tow it to the campspace to sleep for the night.
                        1959 Lonestar Monterey - 1977 Mercury 402 outboard - Smart Tab equipped - Garmin GPSMap76 - Hummingbird PiranhaMAX 190c - Seacast core-composite transom

Comment

Working...
                        X