Mixing 400hp Jet boats with Shoreline

Bigprairie1

Commander
Now this is in keeping with some of the crazy boating stories that seem to occur to all of us at one time or another. Ok, what happens when you mix a 400hp West Coast welded aluminum Jet boat with a beach and a distracted driver? You get a re-launch problem.
It is funny in retrospect only but it could have gone very wrong. It is an amusing story that we had on Pitt Lake.
We (3 families) headed up the lake and we found a great semi-remote beach picnic area and set up the families. The three of us guys (generally responsible boaters) went out and took my buddies Dad's jet boat out to check out what it can do..albeit somewhat responsibly.
Now...here is the hitch. My buddy has a hard time focusing on anything but one thing at a time. I should have know this. He can do differential Calculus in his head...so long as he doesn't have to chew gum at the same time.
Anyhow, we are heading back to the beach at about 40 knots...straight in, about 150ft down from the family set-up...and I notice he is glazing over. Hmmm. Now, we are getting close and heading straight in to the beach..ok a few yellow lights off. A few seconds more and red lights and buzzer go off in my head...so I yell at him and he snaps out of it. Oh Shxxt!!! he says.
Too late....we're out of water and heading up the sandy beach at 40+knots in this Jet boat...over a few logs and into the woods. Well when the boat finally stopped there we were unbelievably unscathed. I quietly reached over and turned the motor off.....ahhh, a moment of silence while we thought about where we were now at. Luckily a passing boat with about 10 people pulls up on shore and ask us if our boat is supposed to be 'in the woods'. We respond "no" and they help us haul it back down to the water.
Our saving grace was a lack of obstacles on our high speed trip up the beach and of course doing it in a welded aluminum boat. Any Fibreglas boat made....would still be there.
Surprisingly the wives didn't get too worked up about it for some reason.
I don't they realized the mistake as much as we did...and of course we didn't let on. Glad I wasn't driving.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mixing 400hp Jet boats with Shoreline

Maybe you should drive next time !!!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I bet it was fun though. How far out of the water did he drive it? Thats kinda funny. Glad noone was hurt and the boat was ok.

Bigprairie1

Commander

We ended up probably 40'-50' up from the shoreline. Fortunately about 3/4 of that journey was over beached logs that were parallel to the shore and perpendicular to the boat. This made it way easier for us to drag/pull the boat (22' Alum.) back down the beach into the water. Had it been in all sand/dirt/gravel its unlikely we would have been able to get it back down into the water without a tugboat or something like it.
It was kind of odd to suddenly come to rest under a big cedar tree and look at another through all these over hanging branches and wonder....what the? Again, my buddy didn't know quite what to say. He was pretty quiet on the trip back.
It went to show tho' how tough those boats are...we had some hull scrapes and stuff but the primary keel area of that boat is 5/8"thk. aluminum so fortunately that did the trick in limiting permanent damage. Like I said, if it was a fibreglas boat it would still be there...probably in a few pieces.
After we got the boat back in the water it took about 20 minutes to get the bottom intake cleared of gravel until finally the boat would move again.
I wish I had a few photos of it. Its funny my buddy had just finished taking his marine power squadron course....which is what his dad said he had to have before he would trust him to take out the boat. Ooops....missed that 'slow down when approaching the beach' part.
Its always going to be a good campfire story.

BF

Lieutenant

ouch... yup, like you say, you guys got lucky! In the city here, someone drove their runabout (90 or 115 merc) into the shore of the river at about 40 mph. I think 2/4 passengers were in critical condition after. Driver (drunk) was unhurt enough to run away and leave the others to fend for themselves in the boat. That's a good friend!

Bigprairie1

Commander

ouch... yup, like you say, you guys got lucky! In the city here, someone drove their runabout (90 or 115 merc) into the shore of the river at about 40 mph. I think 2/4 passengers were in critical condition after. Driver (drunk) was unhurt enough to run away and leave the others to fend for themselves in the boat. That's a good friend!

We did feel lucky...but it came in retrospect. This is testament to how quickly things can happen...good result or bad...they happen very quickly. If we had actually hit something on the way up other than riding the logs up the beach line...wow. No seat belts,....we would have been chucked out of the boat, at speed, into whatever.
I'm glad it only ends in a campfire story....and a good one for the lessons learned book, certainly for my buddy.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Should this guy even drive a car?

Its a humourous point within our social group as to this guys inability to 'multi-task' particularly given his immense focus on a single task. With us in the boat with him he seemed to get distracted...and this was the result. Since this incident he trys to stay focused when driving particularly when he has his wife and three kids in the truck.

freddyray21

Commander

he should not drive a boat or anything else. What distracted him ?

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

he should not drive a boat or anything else. What distracted him ?

Who cares?? I'm more concerned with this (especially since he's aware of his friend's inability to focus) :D

...and I notice he is glazing over. Hmmm. Now, we are getting close and heading straight in to the beach..ok a few yellow lights off. A few seconds more and red lights and buzzer go off in my head...so I yell at him and he snaps out of it.

You know, when that little voice inside you is trying to get your attention? Or you get that feeling of impending doom? It REALLY pays to listen to that guy inside! :D :D :D

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I've got the same friend:D

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thats why you never let your kids take YOUR boat out by themselves. No matter how old they are. How did Dad take the news...there must have been some noticable damage?

Bigprairie1

Commander

Thats why you never let your kids take YOUR boat out by themselves. No matter how old they are. How did Dad take the news...there must have been some noticable damage?

Well...1st remember this guy is 40+ years old with a family. The boat, of course was his Dad's h.duty river/jet boat. Well, he was pretty quiet on the trip back perhaps thinking about the way he was going to tell his 'Dad' (seems a bit funny at that age I suppose). According to him, his dad was ok with it (?) as there was no permanent damage to the jet boat other than a few scrapes, scratches a minor keel gouge. Since then they have used that boat on several BC rivers in a similar fashion.
It is a good indicator how tough and a result, how desireable those aluminum boats are up here in the PNW. They often go for 2-3 times the price of fibreglas boats. I find them pretty plain myself...but they sure can take a beating....apparently.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I think we have a future Darwin candidate here.