Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oops! Accidentally added mixed gas tank.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops! Accidentally added mixed gas tank.

I feel like such a bonehead. I picked up a project boat, 1999 Maxum 1800 XR, this evening. It has not run in a few years and the price was reflective of that. Worth the risk in my opinion. The gas tank was empty so when I got home I decided to fill it some. I must have been excited because I grabbed my 50:1 mixed tank and accidentally started to fill the boat. I put about 1 gallon or so in before realizing that it was the tank for my 2 stroke. I plan to siphon tomorrow morning. Is there anything else that I should do?

Thanks for your advice.

Hi all,

I accidentally grabbed the fuel for my 2 stroke and added it to my 4 stroke's tank. The tank was empty and I only added about a gallon or so before realizing my error. I will siphon the tank in the morning. Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you for your guidance.

Comment

It makes no difference, just run it.

Comment

I'm sure it will be fine other than smoking a bit.
        Can't be worse than adding snake oil.
        I think in the old days there was some oil product that went in the gas that was supposed to do something.

I would just dilute it with straight gas.
        1980 Sylvan Aluminum 18' Sportster I/O - Mercruiser 140, Honda 7.5 Kicker, Bennett M120 Tabs
        1974 Glastron V-179, Mercruiser 140
        1984 16.5ft. Alumarine Sealark side console with 82 Merc 50
        Manitoba, Canada

Comment

addysdady Merged both of your topics and moved to the proper section.

No harm - Run it and no need to empty the tamk.
          Last edited by GA_Boater; July 14th, 2017, 10:46 PM.
          BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
          Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Just run it
            1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Won't do it any harm what so ever. You put 1 gal of fuel that was 2% oil. If you have a 30 gal tank , filled, you now have less than 0.0067% oil

Comment

Not only that, we winterize our outboards on a 25:1 tank.. 2 stroke or not, they get it. The I/O's get a HEFTY dose of fogging oil too, unless EFI.

If anything, I'd actually run it on a 50:1 for the first bit.. lol Lubrication has never killed an engine, truth.

Comment

Just finish filling it with plain gas and count it as upper cylinder lubricant. The worst you'll get is some extra smoke. Now, if you ran straight 50:1 you could end up with fouled plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by 8v-of-fury View Post
                    Not only that, we winterize our outboards on a 25:1 tank.. 2 stroke or not, they get it. The I/O's get a HEFTY dose of fogging oil too, unless EFI.

If anything, I'd actually run it on a 50:1 for the first bit.. lol Lubrication has never killed an engine, truth.
                    OMC found they had far fewer warranty claims for preignition damage after they reduced the ratio from 24:1 to 50:1. Less carbon build up on the piston crown and head. Granted that was before the TCW oils were in wide use. If bearings roll smoothly using 50:1 they aren't going to roll any smoother with 24:1.
                    But people can run whatever they want, it is their engine

Comment

Good move! No really it is since engine has not been run in awhile...it will supply much needed upper cylinder lubrication and help clean fuel injectors. I would not dilute it.

Comment

I run 2-cycle mix in my 4-cycle engines all the time . . . for things that I don;t run that often, as it continually lubricates the intake and combustion chamber, etc. As a matter of fact, the way to fog an MPI engine for layup is to run a 10:1 mix of gas/2-cycle oil.
                        Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
                        Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
                        Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Member of the Month - February 2013

Comment

The SELOC Mercruiser book actually recommends using mixed fuel to winterize, it was news to me when I read it. Like the other posts say, maybe just some extra smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrobk View Post
                            The SELOC Mercruiser book actually recommends using mixed fuel to winterize, it was news to me when I read it. Like the other posts say, maybe just some extra smoke.
                            It could be considered Mosquito Control

Comment

FWIW - I find that the 50:1 2-cycle mix does not really smoke much, if any. Probably has something to do with the full exhaust stroke of the 4-cycle.
                              Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
                              Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
                              Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Member of the Month - February 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X