jetski soaked me on fathers day

82rude

Rear Admiral
Vikesfan first im not a fan of pwc atall, but that being said there should be room for everybody.Tossing a lure at somebody to intentionally hurt them should be considered assault..

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The guy may have been fishing and the Lake Louse charged through and snagged the line

Vikesfan

Seaman
The guy may have been fishing and the Lake Louse charged through and snagged the line

I saw him casting at our friend and I doubt he was using the weighted treble hook that my friend pulled out of his life jacket to catch fish. He had his lines in the water casting towards the bank and we rode single file in a line on the far opposite side of him, barely on plane. Like 82rude said, it was assault.

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Throwing a wake on someone and endangering their lives should be considered assault also...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A few years ago one of the lake lice was, with out my knowledge, playing in my wake. I dropped off plane and this idiot suddenly appeared beside me cussing me out for stopping with out looking to see what was behind, because he just about hit my transom. I pointed out to him that if he was behind me and going faster than me, it would have entirely his fault if he had collided with me. After more than less than polite words were exchanged, I finally said "call a cop". He hightailed it out of there pretty quick.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If you are close enough to get hit with a lure you were to close to his boat. Unless it was so narrow you had to be there then it is completely on him. The problem nowadays is to much power and not enough common sense or courtesy. A lot of 10 mph brains running 50+ mph machines these days.

Vikesfan

Seaman
If you are close enough to get hit with a lure you were to close to his boat. Unless it was so narrow you had to be there then it is completely on him. The problem nowadays is to much power and not enough common sense or courtesy. A lot of 10 mph brains running 50+ mph machines these days.

We were crossing under a bridge where the river narrowed. We all slowed down and moved as far away as possible from a bass boat. He had the weighted treble hook on a pole that he had sitting in his boat and began casting at us as soon as he saw us begin to go under the bridge. The man leading us on that club ride is a former Coast Guard officer who teaches boating certification classes and the average age of the members of our club is close to 50. No 10 mph brains on that ride. (and some members of our PWC in the club run well into the 80's on the radar gun ;)) My issue with the picture posted above of a fisherman hooking a PWC is that it gives bad ideas to stupid people and clearly this boater was one of them. He purposely tried to injure us just because of what type of watercraft we ride. I get ticked off at bad behavior on PWC too because it makes the rest of us who ride look bad. As a club, we go out of our way to be courteous and responsible on the water and this guy was just looking to hurt somebody.

Last edited by a moderator:

ab59

Ensign
I have a similar story but not jet skiers but skiers in the Sacramento River . There was an old timer that had a little Dorcett cabin boat that used to sturgeon fish for days at a time on the river. One day he was sitting in the back of the boat when a boat with skier in tow both buzzed him pretty close while he was anchored up . I guess they thought that was so funny that they did it several more times getting closer and throwing water up into the mans boat soaking him and his equipment . The second to the last time that they did this his boat swayed fairly close to the bank and the anchor broke loose for a few feet so he grabbed an oar and straightened out his vessel . THE LAST TIME the boat and skier came so close to him that he simply stuck the oar out and the skier ran right into it . It broke his ribs and sent him to the hospital. Being the state of California the skier filed charges against the old fisherman in criminal court as well as civil court.
After the judge heard the story of the skier he called the old fisherman up to the stand and asked him if he threw the oar or just held it out beside the boat . The skier stood up and said " held it out , right in front of me " . The judge then dismissed the case and said that it was clearly the fault of the skier and that the fisherman had a right to a safety zone around his boat especially when anchored.
When the Civil court was given that information they as well dismissed the suit sighting harassment by the skier and boat operator.
Every once in a blue moon California gets it rite but I still think that the skier and boat operator should have had to buy the old fisherman a new oar since they broke his with the skiers ribs.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The driver of the boat should have been charged with criminal negligence and reckless operation of a boat. He was the one who repeatedly brought the skier close to the old timers boat

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
I saw him casting at our friend and I doubt he was using the weighted treble hook that my friend pulled out of his life jacket to catch fish. He had his lines in the water casting towards the bank and we rode single file in a line on the far opposite side of him, barely on plane. Like 82rude said, it was assault.

If you're on plane at all, you're likely causing a big wake. When passing other boats unavoidably close, I slow to just above trolling speeds to putt past them, and wave at them to let them know I see them and I am trying to minimize my impact on them.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Being annoying seems to be the main hobby of people on jet skis...

...because after 10 minutes, riding a pwc can get pretty monotonous - unless maybe you've spent a lot of $ on a really nice one - then why not just get a real boat?

there should be room for "boats" of every kind on the water - I do like them all