Safety! It is everyone's responsibility. Dont ignore something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
This weekend has been a rough weekend on the water in the Pacific Northwest. Out on Lake Union, I picked up a kayaker whose kayak had overturned. He had been treading water for over 40 minutes by his calculations. Extremely tired and happy to have a lift.

Last Night on one of the local rivers, a raft overturned and splashed two occupants. 1 was rescued, 1 didnt make it. They didnt realize the power of a set of rapids.

There was collision of a boat vs skier on Lake Goodwin, skier in the hospital with severe injuries.

While not boating it is water related, an individual drowned at a waterpark yesterday.

In Florida, a Boat collided with a power pole at night. All survived but the infant was trapped under the boat.

I am almost positive that there are more incidents, these are simply the ones I heard about.

You may be the safest person on the water, but what about the other guy?

Location, Visibility, Conditions, Senses, and sobriety all pay a part of everyone having fun and going home.

boatman37

Lieutenant
this happened pretty close to me early Saturday morning. the story i heard was they ran aground and flipped. http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/08/20/allegheny-river-boat-overturns/

on that same river much further downstream a father and son drowned while fishing. they were on shore and apparently the father fell and went under and the son went to get him. the news reported they were still holding on to each other when their bodies were found. this just happened earlier this week.
http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/08/father-son_fishing_trip_turns.html

stay safe everyone!!!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
on my little lake, its a 10 hp limit and the marina rents a lot of pontoons, i often see kids sitting on the front of the boats dangling their legs in the water while the boat is under way, i often cruse over and ask the parents if the kids are insured, i get the real blank stare, then i explain if a kid falls off the prop will turn them into hamburger before they can blink, then the parent grabs the kids and drags them behind the fence,,, their expression is pricless

Last edited:

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Always remember your life jacket. Its a lot harder to put on in a panic situation than you may realize. I also included a link to show that a person drowning doesn't look like it does in Hollywood.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just this morning they had to pull 4 guys from the river .. Sounds like they were trying to free a stuck anchor and tied it to the stern .... Bad idea especially
with a running tide and some swell ..
[video]http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/coast-guard-rescues-4-fishermen-near-st-johns-river-inlet/367840929[/video]

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Always remember your life jacket. Its a lot harder to put on in a panic situation than you may realize. I also included a link to show that a person drowning doesn't look like it does in Hollywood.
thats a very good link that everyone should read.

steve1218

Recruit
LOL. I put reflective tape on everything so I can find it. For my C-dory I use solas marine tape. As long as it doesn't sink I can retrieve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.