Drop and retrieved my 200.00 rod

Lawns570

Seaman Apprentice
While fishing in up state new york last week I managed to let my 200 Shimano rod and Prodigy reel feel into the water. My brother in law and I watched it sink a few feet and then disappear into the dark 12ft deep water. Immediately we dropped anchor Our first tries to retrieve we using an old rod to attempt to scoop it up. We could barely feel bottom so we decided to jump in the water and attempt it that way. No success. Our next try was to try the same thing except using our fishing net instead. No success. I next attempt to use my Go Pro camera to spot its exact location, however my Go Pro blue tooth would shut off every time it went under the water. My brother then decided to reverse dive under and use his feet to feel around. No success.

As I stuck my trail between my legs and started to cry I decided to have one more go around. I grabbed a 4/0 hook and a giant 1oz sink. Cast out and slowly retrieving on my 1ST TRY!!! I felt a slight snag... I slowly continued to reel in. 1 in a million chance had come true. The hook had entered one of the eyelets on my rod and pulled right up! I imagine it hooked another part of the rod first and as it moved along the rod it entered the eyelet. Either way the highlight of our trip was retrieving that rod. Great story for years to come.

alldodge

Staff member
Sure sounds like a fish story :rolleyes: but sure glad to hear you got the rod back