Detached toe

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
We were cruising along in our 21' cuddy in a sheltered part of the Saint John River system. I should have been paying closer attention to the wind, which was a strong westerly. This is unusual for this time of year and we were in a portion of the river that I know well and is generally calm. As we rounded a point we were greeted by 3-4' chop. I started to power down but it was too late. One of the passengers was standing unbraced and was launched forward, landing on his big toe and resulting with an open fracture. The toe was hanging by the ligaments. It proved very challenging to navigate our boat into calm waters so that I could administer 1st aid. He is undergoing surgery to reattach the toe.

This was a foreseeable mistake on my part and I feel terrible about it. Aside from the obvious error in judgement, I realize now that our boat layout is not great. It requires people to move forward so that we can get up on plane but offers no support or grab bars. There are also a few sharp edged for people to fall on (see photos). After 5 years of running our boat I think it is time to upgrade to something that allows everyone to remain seated when getting up on plane and have a safer cockpit.

Attachments

• photo247389.jpg
    photo247389.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo247390.jpg
    photo247390.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ouch

I would change the prop or add power to get on plane with people sitting.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Already re-propped. It has a 19 pitch 4 blade and a 4.3l merc alpha 1. Any lower and she hits the rev limiter easily. Just need more torque down low. It comes out of the water pretty quick unless there is a lot of weight on the stern. The cuddy limits the ability to put weight up front.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Why did I get a queasy feeling read this? IDK! Glad everything worked out okay though.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
This sounds like a good time to consider adding trim tabs. Have you got waterlogged flotation that's adding unnecessary weight? Moving people forward until you're on plane doesn't sound very practical. I know that my boat may be somewhat lighter, being aluminum, but my 120 HP 4-banger gets her up on plane without concern for passenger location. - Grandad

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think you did well considering the hand you were dealt. You responded to the unexpected chop for the safety of your passengers, and to the subsequent emergency. A good captain WILL take such an incident hard, and be there own worst critic. Solutions?
Perhaps insist people remain seated while underway.
Perhaps add ballast up in the cuddy.
Perhaps add some trim/smart tabs.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the advise! I will look into smart tabs. This boat does not have a lot of deadrise which is great when calm but sure beats us up in chop.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I installed Smart Tabs on my 17 footer. And for a change, my wife thinks I am brilliant - the tabs both pop the rear up and give me plane at 14 MPH, and best of all, are like shock absorbers in chop or on wakes. REALLY softens the ride.

Rick

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just order a set of Bennett Self Leveling Tabs. Sounds like it may help smooth the boat out and reduce the need to shift people forward.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
See if you can shift other weight forward also. In particular, batteries are a great choice. Just make sure to use large enough cable, but a pair of chunks of lead moved forward will greatly help your problem!