Petty Officer 1st Class
Either wake or wind but either way a bay today today for someone in my hometown

Attachments

• photo246639.png
    photo246639.png
    942.9 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
That stinks. I used to watch the Thunderboats and fireworks not far from there.

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes that is a great show every year. Fireworks are this Monday actually

ziggy

Admiral
That stinks
or ya could say that sinks. mighty nasty rocks for sure.
me and my 'ol lady helped out some locals here a couple weekends ago out of a similar situation. 3 fellas in their spent larson BR had some engine failure and blew up on the wing dyke rocks at my local watering hole similar to that. we went over and helped them off the rocks before what occurred in that pic happened to them too.
they were some real boaters for sure. they had two lines (actually car tow straps) and a wood paddle in the boat. that was it. i didn't see anything else. not even pfds. 2 of the three fellas didn't speak english, but one kinda did. so we communicated with him. they were trying to keep their boat off the rocks with the wood feather brand paddle in high winds (and it wasn't working either). waves beating the boat on the rocks with every incoming wave. they didn't seem to want to get out of the boat and it was more than me and the 'ol lady could do to drag them around the wing dyke so the 'ol lady went and found two other fellas at the dock that could help. so the three fellas in the boat stayed in the boat and me and the 'ol lady and one of the other guys drug them around the wing dyke while the other guy got his boat and drove out to help them back to the dock with his boat.
all worked out well in the end. other than a few chunks of fiberglass on the rocks. the spent larsen got to the dock and was able to put it up on the trailer. they drove off into the sunset never to be seen again.
at least it was a better outcome than the pic from the op......

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey zig. I think what you did was admirable. Over our memorial day weekend I too was stranded but nowhere near rocks/shore. A good couple dozen boaters flew by without even stopping. I had cowl off and wasn't a good indicator i was in need. Also I wasn't frantically waving arms or anything. I don't know what's happening over here in Canada but we sure are afraid to help each other anymore or were just afraid to ask. I got myself going but being educated on safe boating I had double the amount ofPDFs two anchors and a set of oars. Buddy here in Windsor could have easily been helped by a passerby if they noticed or if he asked. Let's make Canada great again!

southkogs

Staff member
Yes that is a great show every year. Fireworks are this Monday actually
If the Freedom Festival would be what it once was, I'd be tempted to come up for nostalgia's sake. But I don't it's quite the same anymore. Windsor was always a good neighbor to have for the week of the 4th.

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your right southkog. The fest is a complete sham now. Nothing like the old days. Lucky my house has a distant view of the Renaissance center. Can't watch the show from my front yard and avoid the mess of a "festival". Lately they have been doing an over the river air show in thes leading up to the works. Which is pretty cool

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I agree i always stop and assist boaters in need. I towed a family in just this weeked 6 miles up the St clair river after he hit something in the water and lost his drive. They tried to give me 60 bucks but i wouldnt take it. I jokinly said youd better keep it that Bravo drive lower may be expensive to fix lol.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
People here in Ontario at least are more and more helping people on the water less and less. It always seems to me anyway that the broken down boats are boats that should never be on the water in the first place. I have a good pal that owns a small Mom and Pop Marina on a creek on Erie. He goes out and pulls a boat back to it's slip to the Marina next door because it wasn't tied off right and the owner claims he unlashed the boat, scratched it and things are missing.

I had to tow in a broken down in a heavy wind but 70's era 15' Tri-Hull with 4 adults and 3 kids on it from 5 miles out on Erie. 2 PFD's on board and no anchor or line longer than 4 feet long. I brought the kids on my boat. Who do I see out there fishing a few days latter 7 miles off shore? Yep, the 4 Stooges. Then I went over to them and lost it.

It is law here in Canada that you must aid a disabled boater as long as it doesn't put your crew, your vessel or yourself in harms way.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It is law here in Canada that you must aid a disabled boater as long as it doesn't put your crew, your vessel or yourself in harms way.

Seven years ago, I was boating and in the distance saw someone standing on the bow of a boat waving his arms. As I got close I saw it was my stupidvisor. The moron had run out gas. He said he had lots of gas in jerry cans in his truck. I pointed out his truck wasn't floating nearby so I took him back to the launch, 7 miles. I never mentioned it at the office, but the goof sends out an video e-mail to the entire division. Man did I get a lot of Hate mail. If there wasn't that law he would still be waving his arms.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

It's law in the U.S. too, but the debates usually start over the definition of "aid". If your boat isn't in any danger, and isn't in a scary situation I'll offer to call Seatow for you. That's aid. Out of gas? I'll call Seatow for you. That's aid. Aground? I'll call Seatow for you. That's aid, too. Sinking? I'll call in a Mayday if you can't. I'll toss out PFD's if you don't have 'em and try to haul you aboard. If you have to stay with the boat, or I can't bring you aboard I'll stick around until help arrives.

The water here is rough and my wife and I aren't kids anymore.

My .02

Last edited: