Ruined weekend number 2...

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
So after last weekend fiasco where we went to the launch and it was too busy to safely park the trailer after launch, we headed home and had a blowout on the trailer, not spare, or wheel spanner... Anyway, so yesterday head off to the launch, beautiful day, 2 dogs in the truck and the Admiral. Fill up the truck and boat at the gas station.
Launch the boat, tie off, park the trailer like a boss between 2 cars. (shame no one was watching), get in the boat and we're off...
Going to our favourite island, Admiral say's "I can smell petrol" - "Don't be silly love, we just filled up that's why"
Why would I say that, In 6 years of owning this boat I've never ever smelt petrol.
Get to our island which is now a building site and no access. Great, dogs need a pooh.
Smell getting bad now.
Pull up and check the bilge, FULL OF PETROL. Sh*t.
What do I do, decide to motor back slowly to the harbour. After 3 minutes I realise that's damn stupid.
OK, stop, turn everything off. Put on life jackets. Got the 2 fire extinguishers ready.
Told Admiral what to do if she blows...
Can hear petrol dripping fast. Is it full gonna touch something hot soon? We are 1km from the coast. I decided to flood the bilge with some water from the ending drain. to dilute. Switched the power on, really scared now... and switched on the bilge. got rid of a load but still filling up.
Sent up a flare and a fellow boater came to the rescue within 5 minutes.
Towed me back to harbour whilst I kept checking, diluting the bilge with water and then dumping the bilge.
Got back and paddled to the ramp.
Boat is now at the marine shop where we think the filler hose is cracked.

Really got scared wit this one.
Wife is scared to go back out once fixed.

Not sure what else I could have done other that abandon ship...

Can't wait till next weekend...:eek:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Wow, I would not have came close to running anything electrical. And would not have dumped raw fuel overboard. Glad you made it back, but lucky something bad didn't happen. The local leos would have a field day if they found out you were intentionally dumping fuel. Your experience in a prime reason to inspect everything before launch. Another reason to have a vhf so you can call for help also.

Maclin

Admiral
Glad the wife and you are ok. Sounds like a lot of fuel from a filler hose leak since usually the entire filler hose is above tank level :confused: Must have over-filled?

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
Filler hose is 1m + long and was filled to the top. Fuel eventually stopped leaking so only 'assuming' it was the filler hose.
Of course could be any one of the fuel pipe to and from the tank and pump.
Hopefully will find out later today.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Glad no one was hurt. With fuel all over, why did you do this? :confused:

Sent up a flare and a fellow boater came to the rescue within 5 minutes.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
Glad no one was hurt. With fuel all over, why did you do this? :confused:

Thought I had weighed up the risk of staying out while the bilge fills and gets close to something hot or going to the bow and sending up a flare and getting help.
Not sure what else I could have done.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Seems this fuel pipe is the culprit. Not sure where this sits but hopefully will get a replacement sourced and fitted soon...

Attachments

• photo243085.jpg
    photo243085.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 1

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I decided to flood the bilge with some water from the ending drain. to dilute. Switched the power on
You do realize that gasoline just floats on top of the water right? There would be no way I would have anything on including a bilge pump.

You were extremely lucky. Next time, leave everything off.

At the beginning of any day, I always open up my engine cover and give a sniff test. I suggest you get into that habit as well.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
At the beginning of any day, I always open up my engine cover and give a sniff test. I suggest you get into that habit as well.

I've realised a lot since my friend. Always learning and realise that mum and dad were looking down on me...

Skypirate

Seaman Apprentice
Get in the habit of doing a " pre flight" complacency is not excusable
Check everything from tow vehicle to the propeller on your boat and everything inbetween :)

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
I do a full check of everything I can before I leave home including a quick start of the engine with the hood open and have a look around. Never saw or smelt a thing.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
May not help in all situations, but carrying oil sorb pads, for oil and fuel spills, Some fuel hose, clamps tools, and a variety of electrical connecters, along with wire crimpers may help a lot. Stuff it all in a 5 gallon sealed bucket, ready for any problems that come up. The bucket serves as a place to put the used oil/fuel mess till you get to a safe place.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Marco, you are one lucky sailor my friend. We all make different decisions for different situations. I would have been overboard as well as all the passengers as soon as a solution to a fuel leak wasn't doable and fuel continued to leak. The liquid fuel isn't the hazard, the fuel vapour is what will ignite. All the water in the world would not dilute the fuel vapours. Eliminate all sources of ignition immediately, that would mean do not run a thing. Or fire a flare in a boat with a petrol leak. Man you are one lucky man. Here in Ontario Canada it is unlawful to use a cell phone anywhere at a gas station other than in the building. The only electronics I would consider is my VHF with GPS capability. Swim away from the boat and then fire a flare, away from the vessel. I commend you for having a flare. But from the boat with a fuel leak? Man you are one lucky man.

I always say, experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is knowing how not to make them again.

I commend you for getting back on the horse straight away. My wife would never get back on a boat with me again. I don't know if you have lotteries where you are but if you do had better buy a ticket before this streak of luck runs dry.

Last edited: