Rednecks at The Ramp

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Went to the local ramp a few Saturdays ago t watch the SHT's.Couple of rednecks ( I'm one too) and a young kid came in off the lake in a black 14 ' jon boat . The kid and one redneck waited for the other one to get the trailer and back it down the ramp. They must have had some of the black paint left over ,so they painted right over the rust scaled trailer.The rust scales under the new paint just gave the trailer some "character". Well,they got the boat on the trailer and without tying it down, took off up the ramp.At the top of the ramp there is somewhat of a speed bump,and they hit it just a tad too fast.I heard a loud crash and looked around to see the boat,(I forgot to mention there was a nondescript black painted OB) , and motor lying on the pavement. The trailer bunks were 1x6 boards laying flat on the trailer and fastened only at each end .The left "bunk" was loose and the front end was on the pavement. Well ,one redneck put the "bunk" back on the trailer and tied it on with a belt or something ,and 6 guys lifted the boat and motor back on the trailer ,and threw all the rods and tackle boxes in the boat. The two rednecks tied the boat down with ratchet straps,ropes,and I don't know what all ,and went on their merry way !

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Saw something similar. Two guys loading the boat. One in the boat one driving vehicle. Was a small bass type boat. The winch strap was attached to the boat with lots of slack. They never cranked up the winch. When the driver started to take off, the bow of the boat stood up straight in the air.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I'm waiting for the day someone launches their boat and forgets to reel in their winch and the strap gets caught under the tire as they drive away.
Just thinking about the results sends shivers down my spine

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I still want to start TBLN (The Boat Launch Network). with webcams at every boat launch. I used to rent a cottage 1 door down from the ramp on Clark Lake in Door County. we would sit for hours watching people attempt launching and retrieving.

Richmond2000

Seaman
I was launching a friends Tahiti jet boat using my caprice and the "launch" is a sandy beach about 100 feet wide I was at one edge to leave room for everybody else
and this couple pulling a byliner capri pulls up in a Mercedes ML and backs until the water TOUCHES the rear tires on there SUV then both him and her get out and start PUSHING THE BOAT off

get the boat back 3 feet then the TRAILER breaks in the middle dropping the boat
the drive leg catches the sand and the boat then rolls onto its side on the beach about 10 feet short of where it would float
after a few hours test N tuning there byliner was still on the beach and the broken trailer was sitting in the car park and there SUV was gone

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Boat ramp watching is the best free entertainment you can get anywhere!

I especially like it when folks have to take a swim or put on chest waders to launch and retrieve a boat!:D

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Several years back I waited in line to retrieve my boat, 2 others were ahead of me. Apparently both were afraid to get their wheels wet. Waited quite awhile as they cranked theirs up the hard way. When my turn came up, I dumped the trailer in slid her on pulled out, strapped her on as they were still monkeying around. I was leaving and a guy said, wow, that guy don't care about bearings and stuff does he. Then I spotted a cable on the ground with 30 feet of cable, and a nice hook. I picked it up threw it in the boat, and one of them said it was his from yesterday, it broke so it's junk. I used it on my other trailer.....lol

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Trailer wheels never touched the water! Pretty funny watching them crank them up.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
A couple of weeks ago, " I had my boat tied up at the Marina" there was this woman Trying to back the empty trailer into the slip. her Husband was on the boat in the water waiting. this poor woman tired and tried.... It was somewhat busy. She got everything sideways a time or two. So I Finley Went up to her. as she rolled down the window Just a little. and I asked her. Ma'am Do you need some help? She Said. WHAT ? I DONT KNOW YOU!!! I'm Not letting you drive my car. As she angrily rolled the window up, trying to get the trailer from being sideways again. Me, As a Nice Guy! I just dont know how to handle these situations

Stackmoney86

Cadet
Several years back I waited in line to retrieve my boat, 2 others were ahead of me. Apparently both were afraid to get their wheels wet. Waited quite awhile as they cranked theirs up the hard way. When my turn came up, I dumped the trailer in slid her on pulled out, strapped her on as they were still monkeying around. I was leaving and a guy said, wow, that guy don't care about bearings and stuff does he. Then I spotted a cable on the ground with 30 feet of cable, and a nice hook. I picked it up threw it in the boat, and one of them said it was his from yesterday, it broke so it's junk. I used it on my other trailer.....lol

You should've explained to them about proper maintenance. Then again they sound hard headed.

southkogs

Staff member
Hey Stackmoney - welcome aboard:

Please read through our forum rules when you get a chance. We ask that you don't post in topics over 90 days old unless you're the original poster.

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

Stackmoney86

Cadet
Hey Stackmoney - welcome aboard:

Please read through our forum rules when you get a chance. We ask that you don't post in topics over 90 days old unless you're the original poster.

My apologies. Was enjoying the reading entertainment and didn't see the date.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
My dad had a 16ft. Whaler That just rolled right off the trailer.
​He never got the bearings wet.
Just backed up till the tires were about 5-6in in the water and the boat winched(electric) right up.
Now my 21ft. It needs to have both sets of tires and most of the trailer under water.
But I can drive right up and NO cranking.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Since this thread has reopened, great by the way, I thought I would pass on what I saw this year. Some guys are using this space age plastic on their bunks. They slide like skates on ice. The guy backs up the steep ramp about 15 feet from the water and stops. Buddy disconnects the winch and the boat slides off onto the pavement 1 foot short of the water smashing his transom and bottom end to rat poo. I really felt for the guy as he really didn't do anything too stupid other than stopping way too short.

At the same ramp last year 2 guys work their way through an obvious line up and butt in, had to be 6 boats tied up and anchored including me waiting. Everyone is yelling at him but they doesn't speak English, Italian, French, Polish, Portuguese, Korean or Mandarin (we have multi cultural boaters in Ontario). Now he jumps out to get his mini van. It took him no less than 30 minutes to back the truck up. He took out both tail lights on the Jersey blocks right and left, gouged the side of the van about 6 feet on the back side and about 3 feet on the front fender. Then when they finally lifted by hand while chest deep in the water the 14' tinny onto the trailer gunned it on the ramp and the boat fell off the trailer onto the ramp. Now there's a crowd watching these 2 duffuses and a dozen folks lift the mangled scrap onto the trailer. It had a nice bend in the middle of it and the 9.9 was smashed to smithereens.

You could hear the cheers a mile away. That scene was worth the price of admission.