Did I do the right thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Today I took the family out on the water to go tubing and skiing while we were out I saw a boat that was towing an air mates yes that's right an air mattes like a tube the people being towed weren't wearing life jackets and their was 12 people aboard this bow rider that was no more then 18' so I called the local leo's and let them know of the situation and how I wasn't in the mood to be pulling these people out of the water and to come deal with it . My problem is I know they were drinking I saw the beer cans should I have said something to them or is calling the leo's doing my due diligence. What would you have done

NYBo

Admiral
Agreed. You did the right thing. If the operator was BUI, that's his/her problem and just maybe, a lesson learned.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
too many boaters(?) on the water that don't have a clue.
Isn't that the truth. Can't count the many times I've seen complete disregard for rules on the water. Sometimes I wonder where common sense is these days? Why do they call it that anyway? It doesn't seem to be that common!

Last edited:

In Deep

Seaman
You definately made the right call. Don't second guess yourself on this decision.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Well the only reason I'm second guessing is maybe I should have stayed closer to them rather then just call it in good news is no drownings or capsizings in the area

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You actually did better then the right call. Because IF you were to get involved and folks didn't like you saying something to them, no telling what could have happened. Drunk folks can be pleasant or get angry in a second. And you have no idea if there were any guns on board either. So calling the police is the ONLY thing you could have done. Too bad more won't do that when they see questionable things going on. Especially on the water... JMHO!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
You actually did better then the right call. Because IF you were to get involved and folks didn't like you saying something to them, no telling what could have happened. Drunk folks can be pleasant or get angry in a second. And you have no idea if there were any guns on board either. So calling the police is the ONLY thing you could have done. Too bad more won't do that when they see questionable things going on. Especially on the water... JMHO!
That's the main reason I stayed away they only had a Johnson 75hp for their power plant and I new they couldn't catch me if I said anything seeing as I got a 135hp and they were overloaded but their boat didn't even have registration numbers

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Had they tried chasing you and something happened because of their overloaded bought then what would you have done? Not sure what I'd have done but it would have been an ugly situation I'd agree that you did good.

I have a friend who was hit by a drunk boater while night fishing a couple years back. All 3 in her boat were hurt, one pretty bad. The DNR caught the drunk boaters an hour later, still cruising around the lake. I hate drunk boaters.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I think that you did the right thing. So much wrong with everything you just described. This last holiday weekend I was shocked to see people on waverunners without life jackets and even people out in the lake on paddle boards. Reminded me of the old Jaws movies where nobody had lifejackets on.

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Correct you were, right thing you did. :D

You could have possibly saved someones life or lives. Sounds very irresponsible and an accident waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.