Anchors aweigh/away

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is my first post ,and I cant believe how many anchors are lost by seasoned boaters. I have been boating since '79 ,although on a smaller scale than alot of you,and have never lost an anchor.Mine have been tied a both ends since day one. Why do you boaters remove the rope from your anchors and then have to re-tie everything or,forget to each time you put the boat in the water ??

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard SOG:

I don't know many (if any boaters) who would advocate - let alone practice - removing line / chain from the anchor itself. You may have a connection if you swap out types of anchors, but I find many folks typically have line on each anchor.

What might be less typical is folks tying off the end of the anchor to the boat prior to hoisting if over the gunwale. I was always taught to tie off the "bitter end" of the line before lowering the anchor. BUT ... if you're not just tossing the anchor overboard willy-nilly, it's probably not that big a deal.

Similarly, it's always a good idea to know roughly how deep of water you're in before ya' lower the anchor anyway ... if you're able.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
My rode always stays at ached to the anchor and I hang on to the dead end and I never throw it I am usually anchoring in 5 ft or less so it gets tied off at about 30 to 40 ft I have a Danforth anchor and they work best with a 7 to 1 ratio