Saved someones life at the ramp..

robgunther87

Cadet
So me and the gf are anchored out on the Hudson River last week fishing the channel for catfish, when I noticed some pretty bad lookin clouds coming our way. After watching sky-to-ground lightning occur several times I figured it would be a good idea to take the boat out and take cover. Got the boat out just in time before the storm hit. As I'm getting the transom straps on my boat I turn around and see a boat, still running, floating away from the dock with someone hanging onto the transom IN THE WATER. As I watched, I saw him slip off the boat and go under. We ran to the dock; I grabbed his hand and pulled him on the dock and rolled him on his side, and my gf grabbed the boat and tied it off. He was an older, bigger guy and had to catch his breath for a bit before he could walk up and get his truck. In the meantime the storm is hitting the launch in full force, lighting is hitting everything around us and the rain coming so hard I couldn't see the other side of the river. I watched a bolt of lightning hit a nav buoy 50 yards out from the docks. Helped the poor guy get his boat on the trailer and we waited out the storm in our trucks before we left. He lost his phone and wallet in the water. Said he fell off the dock when he was trying to tie his boat off. We couldn't believe that it had happened. If we weren't there, the boat would've been out of reach within another few seconds and he probably wouldn't have lasted in the water for too much longer. Pretty crazy story, I guess it never hurts to have a second set of hands when docking!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe you were there to help him at that time. We never know. Either way good going and nice to know you were up to the challenge too... :thumb:

NYBo

Admiral
Bravo Zulu for a job well done!

Where on the Hudson did this occur?

Maclin

Admiral
Fantastic! Would have been horrible news for that guy's family had it gone the other way.

You did not mention if he had a PFD on. Some do not think about the role of a PFD while on the docks, I started always wearing mine a few years back when I started using day slips at a Marina. My kids get really annoyed (older teens) when they seem to be the only ones "having" to walk down to the boat with them on.

robgunther87

Cadet
Fantastic! Would have been horrible news for that guy's family had it gone the other way.

You did not mention if he had a PFD on. Some do not think about the role of a PFD while on the docks, I started always wearing mine a few years back when I started using day slips at a Marina. My kids get really annoyed (older teens) when they seem to be the only ones "having" to walk down to the boat with them on.

Nope. No PFDs, and nothing I could see in the boat either. Never hurts to be a little extra careful

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Glad to know that someone would save my life if needed Thank YOU!

thumpar

Admiral
Good on ya!! I have never been in a situation that serious but I do try to help out at the dock when I can.