Ramping for dummies

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Some ramps have signs and some don't usually if it's someone new or they look new I try to tell them in a friendly manner I understand not everyone thinks of other people and if they are told politely and given a reason why things are done a certain way people are genuinely thankful

staydry

Seaman
What burns me is the people that back their trailer to the ramp then load their boat

There's a very busy ramp in South Daytona that is monitored by two coast guard personel.....they ask every boater waiting in line that they are ready to launch and clear the ramp area...if not get out of line and get ready

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice
I also launch solo a lot and I do the long line tied to the front cleat, back in till the boat is floating, pull the trailer up so I can grab the rope, pull boat to dock and tie off, park truck, then get to boat, start engine then leave the dock. A few places I fish have long docks that when I tie the boat off I pull the boat as far back as I can then someone else can launch their boat. I know of no other way when your alone how to do it.

Many times I can launch faster than people with two or more people. If someone is having issues or newby I just tell them to take their time if there is not a huge line. If they get frustrated it will then take a lot longer to launch or retrieve. If they are moving just slowly I have more patients than the people who load or unload on the ramp.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I tried explaining to my dad about how I do things on my boat like how I launch and retrieve and even tie my cleats and ask hI'm to do it my way so as not to frustrate me he laughs and does it on purpose to give me a hard time and mess with me lol I threatened him that I won't let him on my boat if he keeps it up lol

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Just this year I got the wife to start parking the trailer, so this was me launching solo. I still retrieve solo though. Basically if someone is taking long and looks clueless I help them. If they are an ass,I just let them tear up their own stuff and pretend like I didn't notice. Lake clinton, il had not been friendly to me, but I did haver one guy save my Bimini once and that same day I saved two guys drives and kept one guy from running his boat up the ramp. I always try to be kind or just shut my mouth.

64osby

Admiral
Launched at South Haven, Lake Michigan today, 5 docks, 10 ramps. It was not busy. We were in the prep area getting set. A new Camaro rolls past us towing an old 15' Starcraft Tinny. He swings to hit the first ramp and stops. Blocking the traffic lane to get to all the ramps as he prepped. We finished prep and had to wait for him to clear.

We launched and parked. As we idled down the river he was pulling back out with the boat. Away he drove. Maybe Karma was not on his side.:cool::D

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Well I learned my lesson today if someone offers to let you load up first do it.

Today when returning to the launch a family was getting ready to load up their boat. I encountered them when launching they were beached changing their prop. (Itlooked like it went through a blender)I grerred them and asked where they were from and they said Montreal that's over an hr away :facepalm:. first warning sign .I let them be and launched and played.

As I was returning they were docked and out of the way I asked if they were recovering their boat as I saw their truck pull up. They said yes but go ahead. Me being a courteous boater said no your already there go ahead I'll wait. Well fifteen minutes layer and they are finally freeing up the dock enough for me to dock. Yes they took up the entire dock enough for 3 experienced boaters to dock they used up the entire thing:frusty:.

I go to my truck and retrieve my boat they are blocking a 3 lane road and I had to turn around and start directing traffic so I could get out I also tied down and stowed all of my gear and they somehow left before me at this point I was going crazy and losing my cool :target: cuz they were doing 50km in an 80kmph zone needless to say now if someone offers to let me retrieve or launch before them I am doing just that and I'm gonna try and stay far away from clueless people who should not be on the water or towing or backing a trailer my heart can't handle it

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
RayRay,

I would take the offer if they offered to me. They probably knew they didn't know what hey were doing.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Well I was trying to be nice as they were taking up a lot of space I didn't want to go near them they clearly didn't know what they were doing

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There's a few retired people who sit by the ramp every Saturday just to watch the yahoo's launch and retrieve

Hey, I'm not that old but have done that-many times. But, yes, I have been known to help. Many times being told to ^^&( off!

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Watching the launch ramp follies is one of the perks of setting up a vessel safety check station at the ramp.
popcorn.gif

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Every time I go to the lake their is someone that is loading the boat and undoing the transom straps,putting in the plug at the launch ramp. It doesn't bother me much, they just don't know.
Couple of years ago, we was playing on the lake and came back to the dock and their was a small suv car thingy that had backed up so far in the water that the engine died . Water was half way up the front fenders. Luckily for them some guys was able to get a chain on it and pull it out. As it came out I noticed it had temp plates on it. Like they just bought it. Poor guys. At least they was alright.
They will probably never launch with that thing again.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
there are many you tube videos on this subject...... YUP some are funny, some are sad