Wild Day on the Water (Lake Washington)

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Me and the Boy Child launched My Mistress this morning to head out to Lake Washington for Sea Fair and to watch the Blue Angles and the Air Show. When the Boy went to park the truck, i idled around waiting for him, As he approached the dock there was a family trying to start their engine, They cut loose and were adrift. As i nosed into the pier adjacent to where they were, the boy steps on, i shift into reverse and start backing down. The fella gets his started finally, shifts into reverse and starts backing towards me without looking. 1 Long on the horn, he sees me, shifts into forward and guns it, Hard Right Rudder and hits 2 jet skis tied off at the dock. Then instead of stopping, he just takes off towards open water. Got his WN number and reported him to the Lake Patrol and the Jet Ski owners filed a report.

We head out to Lake Washington, an hour and a half transit to see the Seafair and the Blue Angels Air Show. After the show, headed back to the ramp, Saw a house boat in trouble, taking on water. 2 jet skis, and 2 boats standing off while a dinghy with a 9.9 trying to help. Called Harbor Patrol Took the Tow from the Dinghy, Passed Life Jackets to the Passengers and took the houseboat towards shore. Managed to get the houseboat beached and the two women and the dog were safe. Harbor Patrol was on scene, and a Salvage Company was on scene when we left.

I grew up on the water, You assist any mariner in distress as long as it doesnt place you in peril, The Number One Rule that was drilled into my thick head was never ever do anything to cause the other Captain embarrassment. The number 2 rule was to assist anyone in distress.

I cannot imagine why everyone was just watching this boat sink, 2 women with no life jackets bailing water like crazy, and they just watch.

I sincerely hope if I am ever in need, someone like the fella in the Dinghy will come to my aid and not the fools just standing around watching.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I know more them 98 percent of the iboats comunity would do what needs to be done the problem is education and lack of respect for other people's property as well as lack of respect for tradiation al seamanship people treat their boats like a car

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Boater or no boater, how can anybody not help someone in need? I mean that doesn't come from being a boater. That comes from being a good decent human being... Glad you were there to help them.... :thumb:

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Same Day, Just found out that one of my friends was rafted up at the air show with 2 other boats, a woman standing on a swim platform was thrown in the water and had her leg seriously cut by a prop. As the story came to us, The woman was standing on a swim platform, the boat was trying to manuever, was in reverse, tapped another boat, shifted into forward and goosed the throttle a touch, girl fell in the water and was hit by the prop. Friend dove in and rescued her. This is my first year in Washington State and I have since been told that the Seafair and Air Show is referred to as Amateur Day at the Water. Thankfully, all that I know about, are alive, and are at home now.

ffej1010

Cadet
I was seriously considering taking the boat out next year for the airshow. Between what you said and thinking it may not be "family friendly" I will probably have to delay that for a few years.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Wow sounds scary guys that's why I like it here the Leo's don't put up with that crap anymore they like stopping people to do checks also booze is out of the question unless you're on a liveaboard