Boy Murphy has sure made it a past time to hang at my place!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
So let me get this straight. You guys change your brake fluid BEFORE you change the pads/shoes?

Don't think anyone said that.
It's a good idea to drain and refill brake fluid every two years +/- because of the hygroscopic properties of most brake fluids.
With British vintage cars the discussion was that it took care of itself through leakage and other failures.
With "real" brake systems you can still have events that see you replacing components and bleeding the system, which pretty much "zeroes' the fluid.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Changing the fluid in my brake systems has just become a habit that I have followed for over 20 years now, they really are the most important system on your car/truck. Think about it, if it don't start, then you go no where, if it don't stop, you could die, stopping it is far more important than getting it going.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well to follow up, it looks like something happened over the last year and a half, finally got the rear wheel cylinder out and it blew because it had moisture in it, so I am thinking I have a leaking gasket in the master cylinder that is allowing moisture to be drawn into the system, I am just hoping it did not affect the front disc brake calipers like it did on the rear, so probably time for a complete system rebuild!