5th Wheel Owners..Help..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Well, "the guy" just left. Installed a new slide motor. I ran it in and out about 5 times, it's working at the moment. Hitch goes in tomorrow....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If I was going to spend $86K on a 5th wheel, I would step up a bit more and just get a Bus!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Say MT, what's this. It's obviously shot. I drained the hot water tank. It's not a heating element. Something to draw out some sort of particles? I suppose I need to go to an RV shop to replace it? Sorry about the large Pic. Photobucket editor has not been working for at least a few days........ Thanks....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That is an anode from drawing minerals out of the hard water, yes that one needs to be replaced, man, I normally don't see them that bad until after 5 years of heavy use, you guys must have some pretty hard water in your area! No, you can pick a new one up and replace it yourself, I can't seen the end with the nut on it, does it have two screws in in it? If so then I am wrong and that is the heating element, but either way, they are easy to replace.

Does your trailer have an Atwood or a Suburban Hot water heater in it?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Not a heating element. Yep, just unscrew it and it pops out. It's a Suburban heater. I guess my ? was, do I have to go to a dealer to get the part. Does anyone else carry them? The dealer is over 1hr away........

BTW, this is the process I'm using to sanitize the water system....
http://www.sanidumps.com/sanitizervfreshwatersystem.php

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If it is an anode, I seriously doubt you will find it anywhere other than a RV dealer, you should be able to find it online, or on ebay and they will ship it to you, as long as the tank has a plug in it, you can use it without the anode, but beings they put it in there, I would pick up another one and install it. I have to rinse my HW tank out about once a year due to mineral in the water, which is really no big deal, I do it in the fall when I am putting the trailer to bed for the winter.

Wim, when you own an RV, you learn that the internet is your friend, there are some many things that I can't find locally and I just pick them up on ebay.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The place I go to is very well stocked. Just not close by and we're heading out Monday. Not sure if I could fish it out if it broke off. I suppose I could put it in a vise and bend it off. The nut is the plug..... So is Suburban better than Atwood? Or doesn't it really matter?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your Bully place has them for 19 bucks in their catalog, Musky. Don't know if they stock or order them. Aluminum for harsh water they say and magnesium for less harsh. I would say get the AL anode.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Thanks GA.

I'm assuming there's a rod within the rod? So, it would be a while yet before it had any chance of "breaking off"?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Very cool. Point right at it to park, I like it... Bet it's worth some bucks....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Very cool. Point right at it to park, I like it... Bet it's worth some bucks....

They are extremely rare, Last I heard, there are 5 of them left in the world, I have been lucky enough to see 2 of them here in Montana in the last couple of years, they are cool trailers, maybe some should start building them again, they would sure go along with the new small cars that are the norm these days.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Only 14 miles away at a new rv park. We'll have full hookup. Just doing a shakedown trip before we venture too far.....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Thanks ray. I need to wake up the kid so we can get rollin'........... Talking mid 70s and sunny this week.... Cool nites.....