Help set up my new PC please

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Hows it going guys ( and gals ).

So I had to get a new PC but Im not entirely sure how to properly set it up. The peeps at BB are kind enough to hand you the box..but dont really tell ya what you need to do..unless you take it to the "Squad". Im not willing to shell out a few hundred for that though. So I figured hey..ask Iboats :)

Anyways here is what im working with out of the box..

Asus ( ROG ) G20AJ Desktop ( Windows 8.1 )
Intel i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz
16 GB ram
Geforce GTX 960 2GB
Samsung U28D590D 4k monitor ( 60Hz in display port )

So my questions are:

How do I get rid of all the crapware? Just use the 'uninstall programs' feature?
How do I set up my GPU to monitor correctly? I have it plugged into the 'display port'..but after that I have no clue if I need to tweak settings.
Should I alter any 'processes' ? ( Simple home PC without networking )
General performance tips

Basically..how do I set up this damn thing? or am I good to go after removing the bloatware?

Thanks in advance :)

boatman37

Lieutenant
i typically remove the bloatware using the uninstall programs and make sure i have updated anti-virus installed. if you are confident enough you can edit the registry to remove all traces but that should be left to a true IT pro. alot can go wrong there. i also install CCleaner and malwarebytes. i use AVG free for A/V. i wil then tweak as needed.

sounds like a pretty awesome machine!

my last job i was a Systems Admin and currently Systems Engineer but there may be gamers on here with more knowledge of the graphics tweaks

alldodge

Staff member
Just uninstall the crapware

Monitor GPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHJ__UjKIs

Setup the admin account and get everything about where you want it. Then add another account as a regular non-admin for you/others to use. Doing this provides a layer of security when your working or playing. If someone gains access to you regular user account they will not have admin privileges without the password. Same as if your surfing and click on a link that has malware or something in it, the program cannot load because it needs the password. You can still load programs and change things from this other account but supplying the admin password on the fly.

You can set it up without networking and later install it as needed.

boatman37

Lieutenant
yes, definitely do not use the admin acct as your regular acct. this used to be a real pain with XP and older systems but from Vista on the UAC makes it much more convenient

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Of you could install TeamViewer and I'll Remote in and do it all for you!!!!:D

boatman37

Lieutenant
uhhhmmmmm....yeah.....theres security for ya...lol. but i use teamviewer. just don't let another person use it for ya...lol

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
yes, definitely do not use the admin acct as your regular acct. this used to be a real pain with XP and older systems but from Vista on the UAC makes it much more convenient
On my Windows 7 machines, my normal login always has admin privileges. Care to share why you think that's so bad?

alldodge

Staff member
On my Windows 7 machines, my normal login always has admin privileges. Care to share why you think that's so bad?

I said the same thing, think of it like this. Your surfing and a link is selected which redirects and launches an exe, malware or other program. That program runs without being asking Admin do you want to do this. If you are running as a reg user the question will be asked. The same reason you shouldn't allow your grand kid to have admin privileges. I'm real carful when on the net and I run as a regular user.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Is that true for Win7? I have admin privileges and I'm always asked if I want to install or run an .exe program. I thought that was a standard setting in Windows security.

alldodge

Staff member
Is that true for Win7? I have admin privileges and I'm always asked if I want to install or run an .exe program. I thought that was a standard setting in Windows security.

I'm not a guru but as a former DoD dude, this is what all the top security folks kept telling us. While in most cases your correct with an exe file, but others such as Trojans and malware not so much. I have click on a non-assuming link before and the next thing I know I'm in an area that was not good, and could not hit the back arrow to get out of it. Used Ctrl-Alt-Del to go to task manager and kill the program. Now if I was running as an Admin there may have been another outcome

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I don't know... I'm personally more concerned about having Javascript and Flash enabled in a browser than I am with running my PC in Admin mode.

The default setting (under User Account Settings) in Win7 for Admin accounts allows me to make changes without notification, but if a program tries to, it initiates a pop-up window asking me to confirm. A more restrictive setting is also available, that allows you to require all changes, whether initiated by the Admin or a program, to get confirmation via the pop up window. If I was really concerned, I'd use that setting.

There are some advantages to locking down the computer and not running an Admin account, but I've found there are simply too many things that won't run correctly if you aren't in an Admin account.

It's not hard to set up a more restricted account, though, and try it. If it doesn't drive you crazy with OS requests to do this and that, it probably is more secure. I'm just not sure it's worth it.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I run under admin mode and I always get asked. Our PCs at work are also set up by IT with all of us with admin privileges.

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
"Our PCs at work are also set up by IT with all of us with admin privileges."

very bad security there and an IT headache. went through that at my last job. it was a nightmare but it was a small company and thats how management wanted it and my manager would not resist them

in this day and age every layer helps. i would not recommend using the admin acct as your everyday acct. too much can go wrong. if a hacker or malicious program gets into your normal account it will need the admin password to install it unless you are already logged into it. software can be installed using the silent switch (/s) so no user interaction is required and you will not know it was installed. the most important part is secure passwords and updating/patching (both OS and A/V).

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am in IT now, and worked in IT the last few years of my Military service in the army, I run all my computers under the Admn account and I don't run AV software and never have over the 30 years I have been working with and playing with computers. I have all of my computers to pop up when any executable file tries to run and I have all of my email set to text only, no html emails, I don't open attachments unless I know who sent it and what it is. I have an appliance hardware firewall running at all times on our incoming dsl line. In all this time one the internet, I have got bit once by a Windows macro bug, that basically popped up and call me a dirty name. If you know how to do it, you can set all versions of windows to require approval before it runs an executable file, some plugins will allow you to modify things to require this, or you can set it up when you first use the computer and if you are comfortable working in the registry you can set it up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
"Our PCs at work are also set up by IT with all of us with admin privileges."

very bad security there and an IT headache. went through that at my last job. it was a nightmare but it was a small company and thats how management wanted it and my manager would not resist them
I work for a high tech company. We do ethernet testing including security testing. We kinda know what we are doing! :)

alldodge

Staff member
Computers as with boats, they belong to you, do what you want to do

boatman37

Lieutenant
no argument here but i work for the federal gov't now in IT (network security) and can assure you we do not use admin accts as our everyday accts. as with anything its a balance of security vs. convenience. but like alldodge said, its your PC, up to you. if you are comfortable and confident enough to run the way you want then feel free. i have not had a virus in over 10 years on my own PCs but am also very careful but also keep my systems up to date

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
no argument here but i work for the federal gov't now in IT (network security) and can assure you we do not use admin accts as our everyday accts. as with anything its a balance of security vs. convenience. but like alldodge said, its your PC, up to you. if you are comfortable and confident enough to run the way you want then feel free. i have not had a virus in over 10 years on my own PCs but am also very careful but also keep my systems up to date

I am very comfortable, but thanks for your insight.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Being in IT running an Admin account would be the norm even for those work at VHA.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i am an admin on my work PC but the general population does not. the thought process is that i should know better than to click on something i shouldn't...lol