Pros and cons, ie, Windows 10

oldjeep

Admiral
Just upgraded a new one yesterday that we bought my college bound son. No complaints, pretty much win 8.1 like with the start menu added back in and a very fast browser.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
One of the irritations of earlier versions of Internet Explorer were marketing "pop-ups" that the user had to sit through until the Mozilla (later called Firefox) Browser offered pop-up control (blocking) in the Windows version. (When I first used Redhat 7.2 Linux in the mid-late 90's, the included Mozilla browser had popup blocking right out of the box!)

Internet Explorer (YEARS) later had to finally come on board with pop-up blocking...........even though Microsoft knows(& Knew) that most users would take even longer to even become aware that other browsers even existed!!

Microsoft had tried to force all Windows users to use IE and had to be sued (in Europe to make IE "optional")to configure the operating system so a different browser could be "default". But even now, you still MUST use IE when using Windows Update because IE is so integrated into the operating system.

Now of course, you can use one of many browsers and most (or all of them) have either pop-up blocking and/or ADWARE blocking add-ons available etc

With Windows 10, all this will start to change IMHO.

With Microshaft firmly in control of the updates, (I.E. You WILL NOT be able to refuse a particular software update) They will now have the ability to push adware directly to your desktop in the form of software.

It will not come from the internet at all (VIA your browser that is.........) it will be installed directly by MS and you will not be able to refuse it.

Oh, the hackers will probably be able to do a registry "tinker" to kill it or cripple it, but like that WIN10 ICON it'll be like Whack-A-Mole......they'll keep coming back!!!..................AND most users will just have to accept them since tinkering with the registry is a pretty hard and potentially dangerous...........AND might eventually be a deal breaker for the "free" version license...............

Down the road, they'll likely go to a subscription system that makes you pay to remove ads like many programs out there for your phone and tablets that have a "FREE" ad version and a pay-for-play ad-free version.

Turning Winblows into a "free" operating system is not like making it open source......(which would be really FREE, like free beer)

It's just a fishing lure......... And all of us are the "fish"

Good luck with the "upgrade"

I think I'll stay with Linux on my regular 'puter and Winblows-7 on my other computer that rarely goes on the internet for obvious reasons..............

Rick

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Rick,

It must really bug you that so many people run a Windows Product, if I didn't know Linux was free, I would swear you are a salesman for them!

:lol:

southkogs

Staff member
I'm kinda' with Rick ... but people really get tired of hearing "buy a Mac." :nerd:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I used to have a Mac and hated it, I run windows on most of my machines, but I do have a couple of Linux machines that I use at times.

southkogs

Staff member
I think it's true of most OSs, ya' either love 'em or hate 'em.

I can actually cross platform pretty well, though I don't have much experience with Linux. I have a Windows partition on my Mac, so I kinda' run both - but I like my Mac side better.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Rick,

It must really bug you that so many people run a Windows Product, if I didn't know Linux was free, I would swear you are a salesman for them!

:lol:
Nah......I just like an operating system that doesn't constantly try to sell me something

It doesn't really "bug" me as it were..........but that would be because I felt sort of taken advantage of all these years using Windows..........

Win95 was terrible and should have been fixed by Win98 as a free patch (but you had to buy it)

Then they sold WinME as a huge improvement fixing problems with Win98 but you had to buy it (should have also been a patch)

Of course ME was a complete nightmare so they came out with XP (which should have been a patch too......but get out your wallet!!!)

Vista was a piece of "shista", and 7 was the "fix" .......... Pretty good fix.......(but you had to BUY IT!:mad2:)

Now they did it again! 8 totally sux.....so they "fixed" it with 8.1 (I guess) but since people weren't really adopting it they went right to 10.

NOW......after all these years they're going to "give' 10 away..........For "free"......yeah.......

I think I'll just stay with 7 on my lil winders computer until they EOL it........the I donno......maybe get a MAC?

Or I'll just try running TTAX under WINE!